Spyyk

Keep herptiles or something else which isn't a fish?

Postby Indigo Blue Fish » 2006-03-24 23:24

For those that demand he should remain under Ziggy's shadow no longer!
Ziggy updates (if and when I get them) will go into the Axolotl folder - Spyyks are here.

And yes - it is pronounced Spike. But funkier :D

Ok - the story runs as thus:

There was a tank going to be given to me.
The guy decided he changed his mind. Whether there was a tank or not - I do not know.

However - he did me a favour doing this - I've managed to get all my stuff either half or cost price! *Awesemo!*

So - this is what is happening now:

I am going to collect my tank on Weds from the nice blokes Gary and Alan at Sixhills (01472 240600) - pics of store at later date.

They are also giving me discount on Spyyk himself (who desperately needs a home) - looking after and feeding him for me until my new tank is cycled (What nice guys!) AND training him to be hand-fed. (Because Gary thinks it's fun! :lol: )

Asking people nicely on eBay and explaining my impoverished situation has paid off well - My substrate has been given to me at cost price (Thankyou!) and I'm working on getting a nice filter for same from another eBayer.

Gary is ordering me some Ghost shrimp with discount for me, and at another store I can get my extension cable, timer switch AND the tubing for Spyyks house - all half price.

Will see if the nice bloke at the framers will build me a quick lid - if I'm nice to him I may get discount again.

And then pick up a bendy lamp for cheap from a store I know.

Coming together well eh?

I already have a Marimo ball to give him, and hopefully soon some Java moss from a friend.
I also managed to cultivate some Java baby ferns (thanks to Kat for the know-how on that!) now that Zelda has stopped eating it! (Kat - thankyou - I have 3 sproutlets beginning to attach to my bogwood, and more on the way!)

Methinks I'll have it all up and running in less than 3 weeks if all goes well.
Spyyk is coming home. :woot:

I just gotta talk my Nan into letting me have him.
Oops.
Indigo Blue Fish
Addicted member

Postby Surface » 2006-03-25 00:10

Good start IBF, Ive got an extra filter that Id given you but dont think it would work over there, or is that just a myth? What size tank is it again? Ill take a look around in my rock pile and see if there might be any good KY rocks for your tank. I got some realy cool ones at the lake last summer. Got a color theme? What color is the substrate that your getting?
" Fashion fades but style is eternal."

ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Surface
Addicted member

Postby Indigo Blue Fish » 2006-03-25 10:29

Lol - thankyou for the offer, but yes you're right.
The mains electricity runs at different ...ummm...thing here. And I think the socket is the wrong type isn't it? (or so Dark asks.)

But thankyou again!

It's a 24" x 12" x 12, and is going black - the 1-4mm substrate is jet black, and the piping for his house is drainpipe black.
Mostly because he's Leucistic - the next step up from Albino - and likes it dark.

I was thinking of incorparating another single colour (besides green obv) but haven't decided yet... ^_^
Any ideas?
Indigo Blue Fish
Addicted member

Postby Surface » 2006-03-25 12:33

Leucistic, thats kind of really like pinkish/white right?

Ok, youve got black, and green, white. dont want to take away from his color, and want him as obviously the center piece "King" of the tank. Let me put on the old thinkin hat and have some more coffee while I think. Funny thing is my living room is done in blk, white, green, yellow with some red accents. :lol:

ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Surface
Addicted member

Postby Indigo Blue Fish » 2006-03-25 13:02

Ooh - Red would look awesome - and it would match in with bogwood when I get some more...!

Yup - Leucistic is pretty much an albino - but he has black eyes and can develop freckles along his nose and sometimes down his spine. Ziggy is leucistic too.
Mind you - Spyyk is practically see-through bless him - you can see his lunch!

The substrate arrived today - it's lovely, all rich and dark and sort of crumbly feeling.

And it comes in nice reusable jars!
I'm going to put the frozen food in the jars - trim round so that it's individually packed cubes and pop them in the tub. *awesome*

^_^

I'll have to see if I can find a pingpong ball to convert to an aquatic toy too...

Any left over substrate, I'll top up the fishes backwards pond for them - They like chucking it around.
Indigo Blue Fish
Addicted member

Postby Surface » 2006-03-25 13:37

let me take a look around, ive got some fire agate that is gorgeous, deep reds with almost yellow gold around the outer rings of it. Also another one of my favorite rocks from living in the Arizona desert.

:ot: when Dark picks up your package Mon, have him smack the postman for me. :angry:

ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Surface
Addicted member

Postby Indigo Blue Fish » 2006-03-25 17:29

*sniggers at OT Note - will do*

Wow - I love fire agate! If you do find anything, what would you like for it?

Agates look funky under water - but all the ones left at work are dyed. *blick ick yeeeurgh* IMO - crystals, like fish, should never be dyed.

I was thinking about having a look for a nice chunk of Aztec gold stone (which, coincidently shines red) at my LFS - it's quite cheap.
Indigo Blue Fish
Addicted member

Postby Indigo Blue Fish » 2006-03-28 23:31

Hehehe - the bargain hunting is going most awesomely!
One nice person gave me a fiver off a brand new PF2 filter and free postage - thankyou nice eBayer!
My tip ;) : asking nicely goes a long long way! ^_^

I'm off to collect the tank tomorrow if it arrives on time - the nice eBayer put the filter in the post already so that should get here tomorrow morning too... I may collect the Ghosties tomorrow as well.

Will whip up a quick contraption to keep them in the main tank temporarily (until Spyyks tank is set up and cycled properly. 3weeks max me hopes.) with a big well rinsed pop bottle.

Soooo - so far, that's the tank, Ghosties, filter, substrate and Spyyk himself I've got discount on so far.
(Thankyou to all those people who've helped a poor impoverished student out - methinks your good Karma will pay you off - mine is - I had a job interview on Monday, Thanks all!)

Lets see what I can do with the rest!

I also found out - remember the Ziggy set-up? I had to get a lid customed at a framers? The guy who owns that store is a relation of mine - and doesn't mind doing me another custom! :woot:

*eeeeeh!*
Oh, and Dark said I can swipe a prawn out of his prawn sandwich next (blick-ptooey-yickyick) to wash down and kick start the silent cycle.
Lovely!
(See - even more discounts/freebies - AWESOME!)

Heh - as an afterthought - much to my embarrassment I figured out why Ziggy's tank took so long to cycle - I left the flaming Carbon in the new filter didn't I? ( :huh: )
*slaps head for being bit of a moron*

Won't make THAT mistake again. :no:
Indigo Blue Fish
Addicted member

Postby Surface » 2006-03-29 13:55

So excited that all is coming together for you :woot: Wont be long now and then you and my girls will quit jumping around like ya all got ants in your pants :snaily: ok, me too ^_^ .

ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Surface
Addicted member

Postby Indigo Blue Fish » 2006-03-29 15:16

Hehehe! *is literally hopping about now*
It's getting better - We went in and bought Spyyk!
He's still staying at Hotel dela Sixhills Fishstore, but he's officially ours.

AND Dark managed to pursuade my grandparents to let me keep him!
Something like this -

D: "Uh, hi - umm, I need to talk to you..."
G: "Yessss....."
D: "Um, well, it's like this. You know she was looking after that Axything - Ziggy at work?"

G: *pause* "Yes...."
D: "Well, um, I kind of accidently bought one as a surprise for her without really thinking about it..."
G: "Oh."

N (in background) "What's the matter?"
G: *turns away from phone - muttered explanations of what's already been said are heard*

N: "I KNEW this would Happen!"

D: "Uh, yeah, so um, is she allowed it?"
G: "Where will it go? In her room?"
D: "I guess so - what with that tank she's getting and all - I kinda thought she'd like it"
((Bearing in mind this is someone not good with phones - bless him!))

G: "I did say no more tanks and fish - I mean there are snails here..."
D: "Well you did say she could have this tank."
G: *sighs* "Fair enough."

Hehehe - Spyyk - you're cleared to land!

Told you it'd work! ^_^

Have swiped a gooey prawn from his sandwich and dumped it in a clean bottle with some tankwater.
It's on the windowsill to get nice and warm and stinky. Best way to kickstart the cycle!

I'm off to collect the tank tomorrow - but the ghosties haven't arrived yet - so will wait for them. They should be here next week - to be honest, that's more convenient!

Filter didn't arrive today, but post always is a bit slow round here - I'm guessing it will arrive tomorrow.

:woot:
Indigo Blue Fish
Addicted member

Postby Indigo Blue Fish » 2006-03-30 16:36

Spyyk is a happy little terror - we went to see him again today, and he was happily "pin-balling" around, before collapsing sound asleep!

I found some nice polystyrene sheeting to put under the tank on my sideboard - alright, the tank's only two foot long, but it's best safe than sorry, right? ^_^

Also got a bit of organza to wash the gravel through properly - am just waiting on a call to let me know when Sixhills get their delivery.
Gary says it may be tomorrow morning - the supplier they use take a three day tour to all the shops in England, coming down from Scotland - I think we're at the end of the line.

The Prawn I pilfered from His sandwich is sat at the bottom of the bottle still - still on the window sill. I'll take it home with me tonight. Hopefully it'll be nice and mouldering by the time the tank turns up and I fill it.

*is dead excited!* :woot:

Mind you - why is it every time I plan something, everyone else makes it take forever?
If I did it all myself, I could have done it all ages ago...
:rolleyes:
Indigo Blue Fish
Addicted member

Postby saracen » 2006-03-31 13:14

Did you get the tank yet? Did I miss that part?
Click for Quiz!
--------
ImageImageImage
saracen

Postby Indigo Blue Fish » 2006-03-31 21:01

No, not yet. Spyyk is still at Sixhills.
It should have turned up today, but for some reason the supplier never made it round to our end!
Ah well, Gary is chasing them for it.

At the moment I'm starting it all up in one of my plastic spare tanks - the ones I use for storing stuff in, and occasionally as emergency/quarantine/transport tanks.
It's a bit scruffy, but it'll do to keep the plants happy and start the silent cycle.

This evening I washed all the gravel properly, dumped it into the green lid 6G.
Filled it up, dechlored, stuck old cruddy filter in as powerhead and dead-leaf-sucker-upper.
Plonked the stalks of elodea in, and chucked my bedside angle poise at it.

Not literally.
It'll do as a temp solution I imagine. ^_^

Also chucked some stinky prawn-water in to help the cycle along a little.

I'll give the bio-section a couple more days in my snail tank to pick up enough to seed, then plonk the proper filter in, plus actual prawn and stinky water.
Then when the cycle is done, I can chuck the whole lot into new tank.
Or I can do the same halfway - no odds really.

Even if it takes forever for the new tank to arrive, once the cycle is done, Spyyk can go in there - it's big enough for him to stay in it a little while.
Indigo Blue Fish
Addicted member

Postby Indigo Blue Fish » 2006-04-04 17:59

I am very impressed with me - my Speed Cycle prep run seems to have worked!

Basically - the tank hasn't arrived yet. Sixhills are a bit peeved at the supplier, supplier won't say why they're being useless.

So - using my old plastic tank (spare as noted previously) I chucked everything in, and made a prawn prep bottle.
All it is is tankwater in a cola bottle (well washed of course!) with a bit of prawn in.
Sling that under an angle poise lamp for three days, et voila - one horrendously stinky, fetid bottle of chemicals to lob into tank needing silent cycle.

So for the last three days whilst bits of my new filter pick up seed in another tank, I have had my crummy filter in as powerhead will plants/gravel etc, and I sloshed a bit of fetid prep mix in every morning.
Sunday morning I put my new filter together, popped it into the tank, left the crummy one to run beside it, and threw the whole stinking bottle in.

*Quick note: be very careful when opening Quick-Prep bottle - stench may be vomit-enducing to those with weak stomachs. I'm pretty tough, but it still made me reel!*

Obviously not literally threw the whole bottle in - just the stinky water/meat contents, and then ran like hell. *eurgh*

Today, the tank smells pretty good actually - there is still a bit of prawn kicking around - but all my tests read like this:

pH 7.8 (A tiny bit high, but will probably come down on next water change)
Nitrites - 0
Ammonia - 0.
Nitrates (ran out of test tubes - but from the looks of the elodea, it's been phenomenally high - roots everywhere - but I assume it's slowing down now)

Took crummy filter out, the new filter is running on it's own. It should have a strong enough bacterial center to cope now, but will keep a close eye on it.

What happens next:

When I get the Tank on Thurs, it'll be popped into place on my desk (yes - it's strong enough - I jumped up and down on it to be sure - and nearly brained myself on the ceiling) with polystyrene boarding.
Big glass will be almost filled, and dechlored.
Then little plastic will have liquids decanted into big glass, gravel chucked in, plants planted, and filter filtering.
I'll give it a few days close observation to make sure I don't have any chemical hiccups - then I can move the first occupant in.

I really must look for a suitable cave - I don't fancy drainpipe this time. But that may be a must.

Have found a cool foodbowl - it's a glass tealight holder, about 3" wide at the mouth, and sort of slanted. Will do pics when bought.
It'll be laid on it's side, so the creature(S) can stick their noses in and eat like that.
No food being swept round by filter, easy to clean and load, and no gravel swallowed.

Nearly done!
(Oh, and I have to buy food. Hmmm)
Thanks to a certain member for helping me out with a newish hood and lighting system that will fit the glass tank. You know who you are ^_^
Oh, and some funky pebbles too - thanks!
I still insist on paying postage - so as I said earlier - don't argue lol!
Indigo Blue Fish
Addicted member

Postby Indigo Blue Fish » 2006-04-06 14:52

Got the tank! Nice glass box!

Also got the shrimpies - they're happily eating daph jelly in a net atm. Can't wait to get them home and release them into the big tank - they'll love it.

Will give it a couple of days before we bring Spyyk home, so hopefully the hood will arrive before then, and I can get some hideyholes put in, and maybe a nice big chunk of Java Moss if Trish remembers. ^_^

Less chance of them getting eaten then ^_^

Spyyk's foodbowl has arrived, it looks fabulous - his very own glass conservatory diningroom lol!
Will put some pictures up at some point as I go along.
Indigo Blue Fish
Addicted member

Next

Return to Other pets