Land Walkers... part of the time...

Keep herptiles or something else which isn't a fish?

Land Walkers... part of the time...

Postby Indiana Gardener » 2008-02-11 18:49

... the rest of the time they prefer to be situated at higher elevations. :)

These are my main pets. Longest tail so far has been 6.5 Ft, but he broke off 32" of it before I got him put up so he couldn't hurt himself. They can bleed very bad if they get their tail caught on something because there is blood in the quills. They need special housing to protect them from harm and keep the tails growing.

Six new babies hatched yesterday from the male directly below (who grew 6.5 Ft in two years). And also, 7 other chicks of another breed called Tomaru. :D

Bye for now,

David
Indiana Gardener

Re: Land Walkers... part of the time...

Postby smiley » 2008-02-12 01:07

wow, at first i thought the first picture was a stuffed one :whistle1: they do look gorgous, how long hve you been breeding them ?

edit : 900th post :woot: (sorry im sad like that)
can plecs see what they are eating ?
smiley
Addicted member

Postby Indiana Gardener » 2008-02-12 01:32

I've been raising them for about 6 years. Have been learning from my best friend here in the US and also from very helpful, knowledgeable, and extremely kind Japanese pen pal friends for almost 5 years now. That has only been made possible by the generosity of an incredibly gifted bilingual friend.

My pen pal friends run the Onagadori Center in Kochi:
http://4travel.travel.msn.co.jp/e/msn/traveler/ss1937/album/10190184/
(Can click on the pics on that page to enlarge them)

Note: My birds are not pure Onagadori, but I'm working towards that goal.

Lots of specialty things go into those birds. They look all chicken, but they're much more complicated.... and a good knowledge of their genetics is a must. Eleven copies of three genes control the tail and saddle feathering alone and they all have to work together. I don't have them all in place yet, but I'm getting there.

The first one, Susumu, turns 3 yrs old on the 21st of this month. The white cockerels are his sons at 4.5 months and the white hen is his sister of the same age as him.

My line is made of a couple family lines and 1/2 siblings with lots of new blood each side, but my "genetic Eve" as it were is a recessive white hen. So I get those popping up along side my ducking colors. One of the six new chicks is a white.

The fourth pic down is his nephew, Soumei, at 6 months.

The photo below that is Musuko, the white cockerels' uncle. He was used for breeding and though he went 2.5 yrs without molt, the feather growth was stunted by hormones. The tail would have been much longer if he'd not bred during that time.

Then the last pic is another of Susumu.

Congrats on the 900th post. :D
Bye for now,

David
Indiana Gardener

Postby KittyKat » 2008-02-16 21:12

Absolutely stunning birds, I have never seen such stunning tail feathers, how do you keep the birds from damaging their own tails?
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (aka, guide for beginners) | Flickr
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby Indiana Gardener » 2008-02-16 21:48

After about 6 moths, if the feathers are still growing (and they usually do for at least a couple years), they must be placed in narrow upright cages with high perches (like in the pics) and walked and exercised daily with supervision by their handler. It seems cruel to most people when they find that out how they are kept, but it would actually be quite cruel to leave them run freely.

Damaging their tails would be the least of such a bird's worries if it were running loose. Those quills contain blood and if they get pulled or broken closer to the body, the birds can bleed quite a bit. The quills are about the size of a drinking straw on mature birds. They can get the feathers caught on anything from a tiny splinter on a perch, a narrow crack in a joint that isn't tight in their housing, under a water or food dish if they wrap around it, even get pulled from another bird stepping on it.

A good friend of mine, and fellow breeder, tried keeping one in a cage that was too large and with the wrong shaped perch. The poor rooster got his tail caught trying to get to a hen he could see (another no no, hens are kept out of sight).

Almost every feather was pulled out. He was bleeding quite a lot when she found him. Took her a long while to stop the bleeding even with a clotting agent. Then she had to clean up the blood that was spattered all over the pen. He's doing ok now, but a bird that remains in a state of blood-feather for such a long time is a fragile creature indeed.

She meant well by giving him more space and felt bad about the outcome, but these are one kind of pet that everything involved in their keeping must be followed to the letter. Such a simple thing as a goof up in housing size could spell disaster.
Bye for now,

David
Indiana Gardener

Postby sportscar » 2008-06-17 19:50

Hi there.
Seen your post about your chooks.
I have a yokohama black breasted red pheonix pure bred and he is 10 months old and needs some ladies to get friendly with.He also has beautiful long tail but am struggling to find some hens.Can you help ??
i live in leicestershire.
caroline.xxx
sportscar

Postby Indiana Gardener » 2008-07-25 19:52

Hi Caroline,

Great to meet another long-tail chicken fancier! If you live within the contiguous 48 I can help you out. I can't ship outside of the 48 due to agriculture laws.

My non-molters are probably a bit more than you want. Too many special housing, temperature, and dietary requirements. But when my Phoenix lay again, you're welcome to some eggs.

Or, I do have an extra gold duckwing hen if you live near IN? Gold DW is very close to BBR and would make more BBR for you. Maybe a few golds.

Here is a 10 month pic of a young male I have coming along from my non-molters. He'll turn 11 mo next week and is still in blood-feather.

Bye for now,

David

*Edit* I just noticed that you're in Leicestershire... England? I can't ship over seas (or even to Hawaii for that matter... yeah, one of our own states, isn't that crazy?), but I have a friend who lives on Man. I bet she may be able to help. Send me your e-mail and I'll contact her about it. :)

You're welcome at the long-tail forums too! There are boards just for Phoenix and Yoks.
http://onagadori.freeforums.org
Indiana Gardener

Postby Indiana Gardener » 2009-01-28 14:19

This was him at 14 months:

This is what the young white male has now grown into at age 17 months.
4 ft. tail, 22 in. saddle hackle

Bye for now,

David
Indiana Gardener

Postby KittyKat » 2009-01-29 11:27

Very stunning bird! He looks quite impressive out and about :)
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (aka, guide for beginners) | Flickr
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby Indiana Gardener » 2009-06-20 12:32

These are more recent pics of him from May. He was 20 months of age at that time.

David

Indiana Gardener

Postby KittyKat » 2009-08-09 17:41

He is a very beautiful bird!
Kat
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby dongdong » 2017-04-28 10:27

Flying the catkins bound to Beijing's summer-like menacing,Coach Outlet Online often soared to 23 degrees of small sunny days people have a trace of summer.Coach Outlet Online Refreshing colors bring refreshing mood,Michael Kors Outlet Stores well deserved nature is the summer of nature - green.Michael Kors Factory Outlet Mint green,adidas yeezy boost malleon green,the north face outlet green grass ...Coach Factory Outlet ... there is always a favorite of you,Coach Outlet and now look at this summer can not miss these green wear way.Michael Kors Handbags Green sling deep V dress and wide leg pants combination,cheap ray ban sunglasses so that the body is more slender,oakley sungalsses stripes pattern also played a self-cultivation effect.ray ban sungalsses How to interpret the green,Jordan Shoes the problem is equivalent to how to interpret the summer.Oakley Sunglasses Outlet Always as a color to accompany the appearance of the green, Michael Kors Outlet if it is cleverly into the wear and wear,kate spade outlet like the phrase gently dazzle,Ray Ban Sunglasses bring infinite wonderful experience,Tory Burch Outlet refreshing at the same time,Ray Ban Outlet Online but also refreshing their own summer!Coach Outlet Online Winter you see the green flight jacket,Burberry Outlet Store now let us look at fashion embellishment of this matter,Michael Kors Handbags green in the summer can do something,Oakley Outlet Windbreaker + green dress + small white shoes + Messenger bag,ralph lauren outlet to create an orderly sense of hierarchy.Polo Ralph Lauren Outlet Red serpentine boots with green bags and green striped shirt,Christian Louboutin Shoes handsome and beautiful!coach outlet online Gigi Hadid wearing orange sweater Coach Factory Outlet Online with green pants and flat slippers,kate spade handbags ladies temperament revealed a sports Fan children,Coach Outlet Official mix and match is also beautiful!nike shoes Striped shirt + army green Slogan letter Tee,true religion green bag + patent leather boots,Michael kors outlet would like to cool all hard.Swarovski Crystal Speaking of colorful,Salvatore Ferragamo Outlet may be associated with the rainbow,michael kors online or seven seven eighty-eight color.Coach Outlet Store Today,Michael Kors Outlet I would say that green is colorful.Michael Kors Outlet Dark, light,Ray Ban Sunglasses Outlet peacock green,Kate Spade Handbags fluorescent green,Tory Burch Shoes military green, dark green,Coach factory Outlet glimpse soon!Oakley Sunglasses Outlet Bright green printing deep V dress,longchamp handbags outlet which with a white T,Moncler Outlet no sense of violation.Cheap Ray Ban Sunglasses Fashion instant sense set out!Coach Outlet Store Online Peacock green is too charming,Michael Kors Outlet Online dressed in blue denim jacket,Michael Kors handbags green print dress with black cool slippers,cheap Jordan shoes retro and fashionable.Jordan shoes Pixie Lott's sleeveless miniskirt,true religion this green is a bit special,Ray-Ban Sunglasses Outlet shallow is more different.Pandora Jewelry Outlet Is it hearting,North Face Outlet Before the summer comes,Timberland Boots Outlet do not keep your wardrobe green! Embroidery patterns have always been on the show field or indispensable elements.Cheap Jordan Shoes It can give a boring dress to bring a trace of vitality,Timberland Outlet Online to the cumbersome dress to add an elegant.Kate Spade Outlet Streamlined heavy industry embroidery Longchamp in recent years began to popular,Pandora Jewelry easy to modern urban life,Polo Ralph Lauren Outlet real wear strong embroidery clothing popular.North Face Outlet This season you can see more embroidery design appear in the coat,Oakley Outlet Store dresses, shoes above.Coach Factory Outlet Designers mainly use the plane,Michael Kors Outlet Online double-sided and three-dimensional embroidery-based.Coach Outlet Store In the choice of decorative coat coat,Tory Burch sale Alexander McQueen,Prada Handbags Outlet Alberta Ferretti prefer solid color with a flat adidas nmd R1 embroidery pattern to be embellished;Michael Kors Outlet and the same coat design, Fendi,tory burch outlet Etro, Erdem, Gucci,nike air max 90 Chloé is another way to open up Out of a flash of the road,oakley outlet they will be embroidered into the rich aristocratic wind,Coach Outlet vintage retro style and exotic national wind and so on.Coach Outlet Store Online In the design of the dress,the north face the designers still Christian Louboutin Shoes prefer the three-dimensional embroidery can bring in the formal occasions exaggerated dazzling effect.Polo Outlet Try to add embroidery elements in different styles,Fitflop Sale and perhaps it can bring you more unexpected wonderful.Speaking of the 80s,Coach Factory Outlet Online that mother's clothes on Coach Outlet the exaggerated shoulder Timberland Outlet pads do not know michael kors outlet if you still remember,Michael Kors Online like the wider Coach Outlet Clearance the wider the larger Coach Outlet online the larger the shoulder.Christian Louboutin Outlet Later, once,Kate Spade Handbags wide shoulders were Red Bottom Shoes completely into the limbo,Michael Kors Factory Outlet Online more and more falling coat began to appear, fashion seems to change does not look so much. Until the past two years,Oakley Sunglasses it seems that Coach Outlet Online the action on the shoulderOakley Sunglasses Outlet has become a common Coach Outlet Online pursuit of designers,Ray Ban Sunglasses such as coach Michael Kors Outlet Online a few years ago outMichael Kors Outlet Online of the horn sleeves,Oakley Sunglasses which is also a wide shoulder characteristics of a profile.Coach Outlet In the treatment of the the north face outlet shoulder is not all Michael Kors Outlet of a sudden too exaggerated,true religion jeans outlet soft still soft,Ray Ban Sunglasses Outlet but not too delicate,adidas nmd in the feminist boom nike outlet of the moment,Polo Outlet to the slightest bit of the integration of fashion began to have a sense of the times.ray ban outlet online But also the same minimalism,kate spade handbags but in the wide Michael Kor Factory Outlet shoulder into coach outlet the next seems to make women more powerful sense,Michael Kors Outlet as the art of Ferragamo Shoes sculpture in general,Cheap Jordans enough to feel good Michael Kors Outlet and not feel Coach Outlet Store Online too strong sense.Pandora Bracelets This is more exaggerated,Longchamp Outlet even if the treatment of oakley outlet online the waist so that the proportion is still reasonable,Timberland although it is very yeezy boost 350 fashionable enough interesting,Michael Kors Outlet Online but the fit is ray ban sunglasses outlet not suitable for everyday,Coach Outlet presumably still have reservations.coach factory outlet Autumn and winter nike shoes show on the shoulders Michael Kors Outlet Online of the shoulder to polo outlet do a wide shoulder in the elaborate tory burch outlet under the elaborate fabric,Ray Ban Outlet even if it has been advocating cheap Jordan feminine you can try to see.North Face Jackets Outlet However,cheap oakley sungalsses you are tangled in Coach Outlet Store Online the end of the end should not put on Moncler Jackets Outlet a wide shoulder jacket out of the street,Air Jordans the other side has long been rushing to retro jordan shoes the now fashionable wide shoulder North Face Jackets jacket to wear the body,Ray Ban Sunglasses on which coat which sell the best brand,oakley sunglasses outlet this Very 80's wave of wide-brimmed jacket to tory burch sale a high-end and no sense of street posture,Polo Ralph Lauren Outlet it is very consistent with the young people are keen to Coach Outlet express their own personality attitude. Almost all the fashion now launched by the exaggerated wide shoulder shape interpretation of the times,Tory Burch Outlet Store such as coach these season launched the claw sleeves,Fitflop Sandals she has long been through similar models,Michael Kors Bags Outlet people have to sigh,Polo Ralph Lauren Outlet Store we are now fashionable Coach Factory Outlet people do not Dare to hold the personality of the jacket,Tory Burch Outlet Store at the time 80 simple Michael Kors Bags but was wearing a very daily,Prada Handbags like the integration into the personality of the general.Kate Spade Handbags Outlet European royal family wearing a wide shoulder this thing is still quite common,Coach Factory Outlet after all,north face jackets the shoulder design allows a person to true religion outlet look more spirit and gas field. Therefore,kate spade outlet we can almost see all the royal family members to attend formal occasions rarely wear a shoulder jacket.Pandora Jewelry And on the wide shoulders, but also a generation of fashion idol Princess Diana will be interpreted on their own high-level elegant soul.Ray Ban Sunglasses Since the upper body has been enough exaggeration, then pay attention to the emphasis on only one principle,longchamp handbags on the wide under the tight, with the basic section of pants type,Burberry Outlet it is enough to highlight the overall fashion attitude.Swarovski Jewelry Outlet The suit is reminiscent of wearing clothes in the father's closet.
dongdong

Postby SokSareth » 2017-06-12 07:19

Nice Rooster!

goldenslot
SokSareth

Postby dongdong » 2017-09-26 03:47

North Face Jackets ,
Polo Ralph Lauren Outlet ,
kate spade outlet ,
Ray Ban Sunglasses ,