Dropsy!

Post here if you have an emergency! For general health questions post in the appropriate "Health, care and maintenance" forum.

Postby mia » 2006-05-04 13:35

somebody help! my favourite giant danio bob has got dropsy all of a sudden. all ive ever heard is that it cant be cured, but im really hoping one of you knows how to cure it. we really want him to live, the tank wouldnt be the same without him!

if you know of a cure, please please tell me, but if there isnt, what should i do? will he be in pain? how long has he got? do you think it would be kinder to kill him? if so what is the 'nicest' way to do so?

help!!
you kicked my dog
mia

Postby Surface » 2006-05-04 14:07

Dropsy (Aeromonas)
Dropsy usually takes one of two forms: body swells due to fluid accumulation, which causes scale protrusion, and also protrusion of the scales without the body swelling up - false dropsy.
Dropsy is caused by a bacterial infection of the kidneys and other internal organs, causing fluid accumulation or even renal failure. Treatments are varied, adding salt at a rate of 20 mg/L seems to help. With modern Anti-Biotic this problem can be cured.

Hope this helps some. Good luck and keep your chin up :hug: keep us updated on how all is going. Best wishes
" Fashion fades but style is eternal."

ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Surface
Addicted member

Postby Indigo Blue Fish » 2006-05-04 16:00

Ok - can we have a list of your tanks perameters?
That often helps.

Salt treatment as above - sounds drastic but very effective.

ISOLATE - don't let any equipment/plants/anything from that tank go into any other until it's sterilised - save the spread.
Can make a world of difference.

The effect and time varies according to situation, so we can't give you "how long he's got" - with luck I'd like to say years yet ^_^

Best of luck, and keep your chin up.
Stay positive, and tell your pets to be positive too - it'll go a long way!
Indigo Blue Fish
Addicted member

Postby Surface » 2006-05-04 16:03

I have to admit i think the salt route should be the last option, you should be able to pic up meds at a good pet shop

ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Surface
Addicted member

Postby Indigo Blue Fish » 2006-05-04 16:13

It depends on the availability I suppose. If you can't get down there, it's good as an alternative.
But yes - where possible, medicate.
Indigo Blue Fish
Addicted member

Postby Surface » 2006-05-04 16:19

But also what IBF said we need more details on the tank and occupants, water parameters, etc....

ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Surface
Addicted member

Postby Indigo Blue Fish » 2006-05-04 16:21

Especially how old the tank is, and what filtration you use.

The more information you can give us, the better we can help you.

Have you added anything new recently, and what do you feed your fish?
(Inc types of live food - especially important.)
Indigo Blue Fish
Addicted member

Postby Mick e. t. » 2006-05-04 16:58

Dropsy: It is not a for gone conclusion but dropsy, it has been suggested, only infects an already ailing fish. I belive the reasoning behind this alludes to the immune system being lowered thus allowing the bacteria to find a way in. I am not going to add to the the suggestions already put forward but I will suggest the use of a general bacteria control and tonic, Namely Liquasol by Interpet and Bacteria Control by King British. Used in the contex of "prevention is better than a cure", I feel sure will aid you in the future. Good luck :tup:
Mick e. t.

Life aint black and white, it's full of colour
Mick e. t.
Addicted member

Postby Surface » 2006-05-04 17:10

we need a little smiley of a knight riding in on a horse, and dedicate it to Mick

ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Surface
Addicted member

Postby -Rambler- » 2006-05-04 20:13

Along with an anti bacterial medication, some people use a food that will flush the fish. Pepso food or even a shelled pea. The problem with foods like that is some fish wont eat it. I have had good luck using Epsom Salt. Epsom salt is a natural laxitive for humans as well as fish. I originally started using it to increase water hardness slightly and as a micro nutrient for aquatic plants. I am not sure if I ever cured a fish from dropsy or not using it. Sometimes dropsy is confused with fish constipation. The symtoms are similar, bloating and sometimes scale protrusion. Anyway epsoms is harmless otherwise. Do be careul of some antibacterial meds. Isolate the fish to treat it. The biggest trouble with these meds is they can also kill the "good" bacteria in your filter causing a system crash and ammonia poisoning to the rest of the fish. Some medications state they won't harm the benificial bacteria, but often do.
The Aquarist formally Known as : PB, AKA****, If my legs Rambled as much as my mouth I could circle the earth daily.
-Rambler-

Postby mia » 2006-05-05 09:31

thankyou for responding everyone!
ok so i have a 54litre or 12gallon aquarium with an inbuilt juwel filter (sponges). thus far i have been using esha 2000 as recommended to me by kittykat for a bout of finrot i had (i bought some guppies from notcutts and they bought finrot into my tank. damn them!). it cured the finrot wonderfully and in total i lost 4 guppies as opposed to all of them.
esha 2000 is supposed to help with bacterial infections like dropsy so it is still in the water, and the tank has been redosed after the water change. i went to a good fish shop and asked for advice and was told there is no cure so he sold me some melafix to stop bob's skin hurting and regenerate the fins of the other fish after the finrot.
i do a 25% water change every week.
general hardness = 16*d
pH = 7.8
nitrAte = 5.0ppm
nitrIte = 0ppm
ammonia = 0ppm.
my nitrates are usually at 0ppm, except last week i couldnt do a water change cuz of working til gay o'clock.
the other fish i have in my tank are;
9 guppies (all male)
4 giant danios (my poor bob!)
2 peppered corys
3 nanus corys
2 zebra loaches
1 rainbow shark (i know my tank is too small for him, but try telling my partner to take him back to the shop! we need a new house to set up our trigon 190)
i would use salt but the corys hate it, it makes them pale and lethargic. i would also move bob into a medical tank, yet im worried this will stress him further.
i feed them an assortment of flakes including veg only flakes. they have a variety of dehydrated food like tubifex cubes, bloodworm and daphnia. they love the freshdelica sachets of bloodworm, brineshrimp and daphnia. i get the frozen tropical quintets from my fish shop which contain bloodworm, tubifex, brineshrimp, mosquitoe larvae and daphnia. in a typical day they get fed 3 times, breakfast some flakes, lunch a frozen cube and dinner any of the other things in their draw. i do not feed them live food as i have geard horror stories of diseases and parasites in the food. the tank has been running since december, it was a much wanted and much loved christmas present!
you kicked my dog
mia

Postby mia » 2006-05-05 09:41

oh yes, i also have all real plants (advice of kittykat again) and have not added anyone new for well over 2 months. i refuse to after the last fin rot debacle.

and what the hell is this supposed to represent -----> :poke: ???????????
you kicked my dog
mia

Postby KittyKat » 2006-05-05 10:24

with dropsy (be it false or real) it is best to isolate the fish because real dropsy is contageous. if you can set up a decent sized tank with water at about 27-28C and a bit of salt, do that. on that tank, do regular water changes and a double doze of eSHa 2000. that should help a bit. if it is real dropsy, you will not be able to cure the fish and it is worth considering putting him down (use clove oil) but do give him a chance first!
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (aka, guide for beginners) | Flickr
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby Indigo Blue Fish » 2006-05-05 10:24

Poke.

Okay - did you remember to halve the dosage?
Loaches don't react well to various medications.

If not - get them out fast, into a bowl whatever with some freshly dechlorinated water. Stop them getting too irritated.

Also - did you remember to remove your carbon sponges?
If you didn't - don't worry - that's probably helped your loaches!
Move the little guys out, remove carbons and re-dose tank.

I reccommend getting a cheap plastic tank as a quarantine for a couple of weeks - that stops this occuring. I have two emergency tanks, and put all my "fish stuff" in them - food, syphons etc.

You wouldn't live in the east Midlands would you - your perameters are about the same as mine ^_^.

I'm glad to hear you feed them such a variety - try adding some fruit and veg!
Watch out - some fruit turn the water cloudy - but peas are highly reccommended for any fish - your loaches will go nuts!
Indigo Blue Fish
Addicted member

Postby mia » 2006-05-05 16:18

i have a reasonably sized medical tank already, yet have had no success with it. i put in the 1st guppy we had with finrot in and the whole thing did nothing but accelerate its disease and made it die within 2days. i have to admit im somewhat loath to risk it with my favourite fish. what is the best, least stressful way to do a transfer?
the medical tank has a heater, yet no light or filter. is this ok or should i use one of my small spare filters?
im just extremely dubious about putting a fish with a stress caused illness through more stress. it seems like a sure fire way to kill him. if you all really recommend it and think its his best chance, i will. if so please tell me the best way of doing it. i dont want bob to die!
and with this med tank, just fresh dechlorinated water? what about new tank syndrome? doesnt it need to be cycled? :blink:
you kicked my dog
mia

Next

Return to 999/911