Dropsy!

Post here if you have an emergency! For general health questions post in the appropriate "Health, care and maintenance" forum.

Postby KittyKat » 2006-05-05 16:47

you must use a filter. this will 1) create water movement so that oxygen will get into the water and 2) clear some of the waste. make sure there is no carbon in the filter

use 50% water from your main tank and 50% new aged or dechlorinated water (age water by letting it stand for 24-48 hours in a bucket or the like)
to start off with, make sure that the temp of the water is identical to that of your main tank and gradually increase it to 27-28C.

add either aquarium salt at about 2 teaspoons/gallon and/or eSHa 2000
do not use salt from your kitchen unless it is rock sea salt in which case you could use it untill you are able to get aquarium salt.

to avoid the need to cycle the tank, do 20-25% water changes every 2-3 days (depends on tank size and filter type) with water which is the same temp as the tank water. this way you will have manual only filtering and will compensate for the lack of chemical filtering with the water changes.

in my opinion, this would be your best course of action right now.
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (aka, guide for beginners) | Flickr
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby Indigo Blue Fish » 2006-05-05 17:10

To move your fish in a stress free way, we reccommend you use a jug - preferably a clear one. If no jug, use a glass - but don't drop it.

Well done for questioning it - I was in a hurry and forgot to elaborate.
You should do a partial water change every day too.
Indigo Blue Fish
Addicted member

Postby mia » 2006-05-05 17:16

could i just use a bag? i got some from my fish shop. will i need to do what we do with new ones, adding water to the bag to acclimatise?
also, how do i tell the difference between real and false dropsy???
aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh
you kicked my dog
mia

Postby KittyKat » 2006-05-05 17:24

bag would be fine.

you could do it, but IMO the fish will suffer more from the stress of being in a bag for a few hours more then from clean water.

if it gets cured, it's false dropsy, if it doesn't, it's real. not exactly possible to tell from looking... might be possible if you have access to a lab :)
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (aka, guide for beginners) | Flickr
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby mia » 2006-05-06 15:08

ok, i have set up the tank using 75% existing aquarium water and 25% fresh water.
just to clarify before i add anything new; the existing tank water has been treated with esha 2000 already. shall i now double the dose?
am i allowed to use both salt and esha?
so you recommend i just put him directly into the new tank?
the filter i have is very basic and only contains a carbon sponge. should i get a different sponge?
thankyou very much for all your help!
you kicked my dog
mia

Postby KittyKat » 2006-05-06 15:17

run the filter with the carbon sponge for one day, then remove the carbon sponge and put in a normal "wool" one and do a 20% water change with new water which is the same temp as thehospital tank water. now add do a double dose of eSHa 2000. if three days later there is no improvement, add the salt.

as long as the temerature in the same, you can put him straight into the new tank.
Kat
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby Indigo Blue Fish » 2006-05-06 17:07

As long as the loaches aren't in there when you double dose, that's fine ^_^
Indigo Blue Fish
Addicted member

Postby mia » 2006-05-06 18:09

bob's in there on his own, my loaches are safe. they are called pete and orinocco by the way! :D they are pretty hardcore, they've never been ill and have been fine with all teatments so far.
i hope bob will get better!! he has survived oxygen deprivation, velvet and a broken jaw, he can survive this!!
you kicked my dog
mia

Postby mia » 2006-05-07 15:29

bob made it through the night!! he hasnt got any worse, but he hasnt got any better either. his scales dont appear to be sticking out as much though. i bought some esha optima today, any objections? (perhaps to help bob and just to put in main tank)
shall i put some in with bob? shall i even put it into my main tank? what doth thee thinketh?
you kicked my dog
mia

Postby Indigo Blue Fish » 2006-05-07 16:40

I personally don't know about ESHA - so wait for Kat to advise you on this one.
Normally they don't reccomend you mix meds. Salt should be fine unless it says in the booklet not to.
How did he manage to get a broken jaw?
P.s, Great names for the loaches btw!
Indigo Blue Fish
Addicted member

Postby mia » 2006-05-07 19:49

i have no idea! bob has a tendancy to 'strut' more than the other danios, incidentally called bob, bob and bob. i think it may be because of this he did it, he can get a lick on when he wants to! he's the most active of the danios, and a bit of a bully. he spends most of his time chasing the others, so hes probably ran into the glass doing that or something of the like. hes a menace.
pete the loach is named after pete burns, cuz he looks just like him, its freaky! i have unfortunately named all my fish. geek!!
you kicked my dog
mia

Postby KittyKat » 2006-05-08 07:01

i think you can use eSHa OPTIMA with eSHa 2000 but because it is trace elements, minerals and vitamins, you must not under any conditions overdose! in this case, if you are unsure of how much you should use, it's best to underdose rather then overdose.
Kat
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby Indigo Blue Fish » 2006-05-08 10:19

There's nothing wrong with naming fish lol!
All mine have names!

I have:
Zelda - big male platinum Koi. (Poor guy was supposed to be called Link...)
Rex - Goldfish
Erwin - Dojo
S***-Weasel - Dojo (This little lady got her unfortunate name from her last owner.)
Erik II, Fey, Ellie and Edward - Khulis
Charlie and Charlotte - Black Khulis
Big Momma - giant green Cana snail.
Binky, Cuddles, Chicken, Hector and Barry - Brig snails of various colours.
Gary and Andy - 50:50 of the Physa Snails.
Potted, Paste and Scampi - Glass shrimps
Spyyk - my Axolotl.

Not all in same tank obviously, but hey!
When I had minnows, even they had names. And I could tell the difference! ^_^
How's that for bad lol!
Indigo Blue Fish
Addicted member

Postby mia » 2006-05-09 16:22

bobs still alive, and he actually looks alot slimmer today! i think he might get better you know, but im not going to get my hopes up too much. it would be brilliant if he did. u lot are so helpful, he'd be dead by now if i hadnt spoke to u. ta very much!! ;)
you kicked my dog
mia

Postby KittyKat » 2006-05-09 16:25

try feeding him some frozen/live foods or egg youlk to get his weight up a bit :tup:
Kat
KittyKat
Site admin

PreviousNext

Return to 999/911