Dropsy!

Post here if you have an emergency! For general health questions post in the appropriate "Health, care and maintenance" forum.

Postby Surface » 2006-05-09 16:47

Mia, glad to hear that bob is hanging in there. Heres to him doing better everyday untill hes his old self again. Keep us up dated. :tup:
" Fashion fades but style is eternal."

ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Surface
Addicted member

Postby Indigo Blue Fish » 2006-05-09 19:39

Glad to hear it.
Keep a close eye on him for us.
Indigo Blue Fish
Addicted member

Postby mia » 2006-05-14 17:34

ive just put him back in the main tank today, he's better!! he's still a tiny bit bloated, but nothing like he was. he was getting depressed in there on his own and not eating much so i thought it would be best to put him back with his friends. he loves it!! he is so happy and has eaten like a pig so far. fingers crossed!!
ok as for fish names..........
guppies are, benitez, jeramiah, slut, coob, fin, blusher, mereh, smenkhare and george.
danios are, bob, bob, bob and bob.
corys are, jekyll, hyde, poppet, pickle and zoidberg.
loaches are, pete and orinocco.
rainbow shark, hitler.
we did have a big snail called hubert but the loaches terminated him.
bobs a bit of a weird shape now though! he's been stretched etc so now he looks saggy. bless him! he seems like he's back to his usual self. seems to have been false dropsy then methinks. im keeping an eye on him, if he gets it back he'll go staight back into the medical tank. hopefully he'll live for many more years, if any fish can get over it, it's bobus von jobus!!
you kicked my dog
mia

Postby Indigo Blue Fish » 2006-05-14 18:05

Wow - what great names!
Do I spy a touch of Jewish influence on Smenkhare? Great name, great name!
:D
Glad to hear he's better!
Any pictures?
Indigo Blue Fish
Addicted member

Postby KittyKat » 2006-05-14 18:24

Glad to hear the little guy is better :tup:
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (aka, guide for beginners) | Flickr
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby Surface » 2006-05-14 20:29

Mia, thats great news, glad to hear that the little fella is doing better. :tup:
" Fashion fades but style is eternal."

ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Surface
Addicted member

Postby mia » 2006-05-15 19:33

smenkhare is the name of an egyptian pharoah!! he's called it cuz he's so gorgeous! he's got a shiny blue body with a smoky orange tail and top fin. he really is wonderful to look at, he is perfect.
bob seems lethargic today, not quite as happy as he was yesterday i have to say. i know it sounds pessimistic but im not sure we're going to get through this! ill keep an eye on him and see how he fares :(
how do i put pics on here? my guppies are so gorgeous, i really want to show them off!! i think you should all see the infamous bob, bless him.
you kicked my dog
mia

Postby KittyKat » 2006-05-15 19:37

you can either attach them to posts or you can upload them onto a hosting site first (see <a href='http://z13.invisionfree.com/AllFishForums/index.php?showtopic=32' target='_blank'>this thread</a>)
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (aka, guide for beginners) | Flickr
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby Indigo Blue Fish » 2006-05-15 20:09

It's easy when you get the know - I use the methods on that sheet.
Keep a close eye on him - I imagine it's just a little shock. Animals can come under the weather like humans.
Indigo Blue Fish
Addicted member

Postby mia » 2006-05-16 21:21

he's starting to get pine-coned again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rip: hes going to die isnt he?? i dont know what else to do far short of putting him in the medical tank again, which will get the same results i assume. should i kill him :'( ?? this is all getting a bit gay
you kicked my dog
mia

Postby KittyKat » 2006-05-16 21:31

in this case you might have to keep him in isolation for the rest of his life... but IMO you shouldn't kill him unless he is obviously suffering. It would be much safer to isolate him, but if he gets lonely is there any chance you could put his tank right up against the main one?
Kat
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby mia » 2006-05-17 14:41

he is distressed. he's back to how he was last week, generally struggling to do anything. hes still eating and swimming about, but hes getting a massive stomach again. i think that cuz hes my favourite, i shouldnt let him suffer anymore.
what would be the kindest way to say bye to bob? i dont want to distress him anymore than i have to.
you kicked my dog
mia

Postby Indigo Blue Fish » 2006-05-17 14:45

If you really feel you can't do anything more for him, the kindest way is clove oil.

5 drops per litre should be enough, make it 6 to be sure. Make sure there are no oil "blobs" and it's well stirred.

Pop the fish in using a clear plastic container so he won't freak out.

It'll numb him (like painkiller), send him to sleep, and quietly kill him with least stress.

Make sure you have tried everything you can for him first ok?
Indigo Blue Fish
Addicted member

Postby Mike@AmazonAquatics » 2006-05-17 17:17

Sorry Mia IME Dropsy is completely incurable :( Fish that have it sometimes go through a 'recess', but it always comes back sooner, or later. Pop eye is a related condition and often comes with Dropsy, like wise it can come and go and then return again... each time the fish just gets slightly worse until they look terrible and you have to euthanase them :(

As you seem to have concluded yourself the best thing is euthanasia. As to how to euthanase IBF's suggestion is a good one, Clove Oil is a natural anaesthetic so you would be 'putting him to sleep' humanely by giving him an overdose of it. Other quick and humane options involve destroying the brain as quickly as possible and can require a strong stomach, so maybe aren't up your street? Please don't flush him down the toilet, put him in the freezer, leave him to suffocate slowly out of water, or drop him into boiling water... all slow deaths and very cruel.

Don't feel too bad about it, Dropsy is probably an infection in the gut of the fish, it can be caused/inflamed by bad water conditions in your tank, but it is much more likely to have been lurking in the gut of the fish from before you bought him. The fact you kept him so long despite the infection shows your water conditions are probably excellent. Some fish seem predisposed to both Dropsy and Pop Eye, including Danios, Gouramis and Bettas, but it does not seem to be highly infectious at all in good tank conditions so I wouldn't worry abouf infection of other fish too much.

If you think about it in nature a fish with any terminal condition like this would get ruthlessly snapped up by some predator very quickly, by keeping them alive you are just prolonging their pain in a very unnatural way.
<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:green'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Arial'>AMAZON AQUATICS</span></span></span></span>
Mike@AmazonAquatics

Location: AMAZON AQUATICS, 74 East St, Warminster, Wiltshire, UK, BA12 9BW

Postby mia » 2006-05-17 21:41

thanks for your advice. where can i get clove oil? any supermarket??
the tank wont be the same without him :(
we'll do that tomorrow then. im depressed now!!!!
its just the horrid feeling that its my fault, but my water is good! i try so hard with the tank, do everything i can to make it perfect for them, but it never seems good enough!! someones always ill. ill get the knack of it eventually.........
you kicked my dog
mia

PreviousNext

Return to 999/911