Declorinator

Post here if you have an emergency! For general health questions post in the appropriate "Health, care and maintenance" forum.

Postby Stressed » 2006-12-30 03:18

Well I tested the ph of my water strait out of the tap... 8.4. I let a 1 gallon container of water set out for 24 hours... Ph... still 8.4. Added the equivelent ammount of salt I add to my tank... Ph still 8.4. Now when I added the declorinator... It drops between 7.4 and 7.6....What the heck is that about??? The KH is the same in all cases

I'm using Start Right by Jungle. Why is this product lowering my PH? It doesn't affect the GH or the KH... but drops PH...???

Can anyone recommend a better declorinator????
Stressed

Postby susankat » 2006-12-30 06:11

Since you are in the states, I would suggest getting amquel + or just go to a walmart and get de-chlor. I tend to use both and neither of them lowers my ph.
Susan
susankat
Addicted member

Postby sharkdude » 2006-12-30 13:16

the de-clor may screw up the reading as Ph and KH are as one they go up and down together.
STUFF

Smooth
Happy
Ardent
Resourceful
Kool
Diligent
Utilitarian
Dependable
Exemplary
ImageImageImageImage
sharkdude
Addicted member

Postby Mick e. t. » 2006-12-30 17:45

Click <a href='http://z13.invisionfree.com/AllFishForums/index.php?showtopic=1106' target='_blank'>here</a> I am sure you will find it interesting, worth reading all four chapters. As for a choice Prime by Seachem is one of the best, if not the best on the market. You will find threads on it within AFF. :tup: Out of curiosity and with respect, I would like you to clarify some point you made re
Well I tested the pH of my water strait out of the tap... 8.4. I let a 1 gallon container of water set out for 24 hours... Ph... still 8.4. Added the equivalent amount of salt I add to my tank... Ph still 8.4. Now when I added the declorinator... It drops between 7.4 and 7.6....What the heck is that about??? The KH is the same in all cases
  • When you say equivalent amount of salt, do you mean the quantity needed for one gallon?</li>
  • Are you adding the correct dosages?</li>
BTW Prime does not affect the pH. Check <a href='http://z13.invisionfree.com/AllFishForums/index.php?showtopic=1739&st=10' target='_blank'>this</a>
thread out.
Mick e. t.

Life aint black and white, it's full of colour
Mick e. t.
Addicted member

Postby Stressed » 2006-12-31 01:01

Yep... the ammount needed for 1 gallon. I double checked the dosages 4 times... i'm putting the right ammount in. Not like when I started my first aquarium and thought I was to treat the whole tank 20 gallons... when all changed was 5 gallons...LOL

I just find it strange that Jungle "Start Right" drops the ph that much.
Stressed

Postby KittyKat » 2006-12-31 10:44

I expect that you already know that instead of using dechlorinator, it is (usually) possible to age water by letting it stand for 24-48 hours (12-24 hours with an air stone). This is what I have been doing for my freshwater aquariums for a very long time now without any evident bad effects.

Understandably, not everyone has the patience or the space to do that, so I advise you to try some other brands of dechlorinator to see if they do/do not affect your water in the same way.

In the meantime, please can you give me a list of "ingredients" for your dechlorinator and I will have a look to see if anything there might be causing the problem.
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (aka, guide for beginners) | Flickr
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby Stressed » 2007-01-05 04:32

Ok after doing that complete tear down, I had to completely re-cylce the tank. I started by doing a 10% change when the ammoina reached above .25 At this time that is almost done. I have less than .25 for ammonia you can barely tell a color difference betwen 0 and the color of my result, 0 nitrite and the nitrates were high at 80, so I did a 20% change this time.

I removed the wood and purchaced and hunted down rocks by the local lake. They were washed in a mild bleach solution and then rinced very well. I noticed that the cichlids and kulli loaches kept uprooting my plants so I pottted them in class votive holders and they have not moved in a week. Talking out the wood has helped the ph a bit. It is now religiously at 7.6 for the ph. The KH is now up to 196.8. I added some seashells that my mother collected for the kids in Mexico. I know that the declor is lowering the 8.4 ph water I have..... Can the cichlids be happy with a ph of 7.6??

How many more cichlids can i put in here>>> they love the rocks and you never see them.. lol

Picture attached :D Water is still a bit cloudy... hope to see that clear up this week.
Stressed

Postby Dookie » 2007-01-05 08:04

My Malawi cichlids were always kept in a pH of 7.4 and they were fine, they also bred in those conditions so they must have been happy. I still have the fry to this day and all are healthy and strong.
I had once been concerned over the low-ish ph of my water, but was advised that anything above neutral is infact fine for them.
Dookie
Addicted member

Postby KittyKat » 2007-01-07 12:16

Nice set up :tup:

How many and of what species are ALL the fish in there (also what gender if you know), and how big is the tank?
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (aka, guide for beginners) | Flickr
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby Stressed » 2007-01-07 18:24

it's a 20 gallon with a UGF powered by two Whisper pumps rated for a 60 gallon tank. It has a whisper power filter rated for a 60 gallon tank. It has 2 Kulli loaches which i never see... they live under the rocks. Two cory cats, an African frog.

I have 4 African cichlids which i think i have identified ( please forgive spelling) and no idea how to sex these!

metriaclima estherae 2--- 1 orange with mutliple egg spots and one that seems to be an albino all white, pink eyes, very few egg spots.

labidochromis caeruleus (lions cove) -- yellow with very thin black stripe on doral fin. It shows sometimes... sometimes not

The other one... NO clue... how do i attach more than one picture so you can see them?
Stressed

Postby Indigo Blue Fish » 2007-01-07 20:57

If it helps, we tend to use Photobucket.com - you can then upload LOADS onto there for free, and then post nearly as many as you like here via the image links :)
Indigo Blue Fish
Addicted member

Postby Stressed » 2007-01-07 23:24

lets give this a try.... hopefully the pics show up

this one normally has a black line on the doral fin... why it doesn't show in the pic i am clueless

These are the 4 I have... no clue if they are female or male.
Stressed

Postby KittyKat » 2007-01-08 15:02

Now hun, why have you not yet entered POTM? I reckon you definitely have some decent pics there!

Those are all definitely African cichlids (which I don't actually know much about) so I'll let Mick or one of our other African cichlid keepers ID them...

All I can tell you is that the third one is an albino and the second one might be a male :tup:
Kat
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby Indigo Blue Fish » 2007-01-08 16:47

I would dare say the top one's a female :)
My Denzel is a yellow lab, but his black markings are SERIOUSLY heavy.
Indigo Blue Fish
Addicted member

Postby Stressed » 2007-01-08 18:23

I haven't entered the POTM because I am a photography tuitor at the local college. I just feel that it would be unfair to enter when I have some photographs being displayed at the local art center. My two hobbies... fish and photography. I can submit some photos if you want me to...lol.
Stressed

Next

Return to 999/911