I have White Spot (ich) mooooo!

Post here if you have an emergency! For general health questions post in the appropriate "Health, care and maintenance" forum.

Postby MightyDOB » 2007-03-06 23:06

well I am facing my first fish disease. three of my rummy's have white spot :( one has it worse than the others. I have tried to absorb all the info on the forum about white spot (I must say a simple and to the point guide on how to treat Fish Deceases would go down a treat), but I am unsure what the best thing to do it. I have already begun to raise the temperature slowly as everyone seems to recommend that to increase the life cycle.

I thing I am unsure about it weather to use chemicals or salt. Will rummy's be OK if I add Salt as I understand they a quite susceptible to change so wanted to check first(I could not really find any definite notes on how much to add). The rummy's are the only fish in there if this helps.

I would obviously prefer not to put chemicals in the tank as I have not to this point, but I would obviously want to do what's best for the fish really.

I guess there is not a lot I can do now anyway but I can try and pick up some treatment and or some fish friendly Salt tomorrow?

bit gutted as thought everything was going great :(
occupants of my 60 x 30 Community Tank: 2 Dwarf Gourami (1 female & 1 male) - 6 Rummy Tetra - 3 Red Wagtail Platy - 5 Khulie Loach
MightyDOB

Postby Mick e. t. » 2007-03-07 14:41

Sorry to hear of your bad news. To the point; personally I would not recommend the use of salt with Rummy's. Use a proprietary brand of white spot treatment. You will find that they will all recommend an increase in temperature. Since I got converted to Malawi's my fish have been disease free, (Around 20 years) so I am somewhat out of touch as to what to recommend, hopefully someone will name a brand that will be appropriate for your fish.
Mick e. t.

Life aint black and white, it's full of colour
Mick e. t.
Addicted member

Postby saracen » 2007-03-07 15:12

I found King British WS3 about the best on the market for shifting White Spot, but like Mick, I haven't had to battle it for some years now, so there may be something better out there.

Good luck. Oh, and remember, if you have and scaleless fish, like loaches, then halve the treatment and treat for twice as long.
Click for Quiz!
--------
ImageImageImage
saracen

Postby oxymoron » 2007-03-07 17:28

Sorry to hear about that, it happens to everyone though! So don't worry too much.

This is a link to what i used when my neons and endlers (just after they arrived) got ich.

<a href='http://www.waterlife.co.uk/waterlife/protozin.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.waterlife.co.uk/waterlife/protozin.htm</a>

You can get it pretty much in any LFS and does the job really well.
Only one issue tho.. dont get it on your hands lol!
OTPOTM - Vote Now for April's Winner!!!

Just click my link http://bux.to/?r=oxymoron22

By 2011 I will be a stockcar racer!!
http://www.cycletheuk.co.uk - Help raise £3000 for charity - I will be cycling the UK for all your help :)
oxymoron
Addicted member

Postby MightyDOB » 2007-03-07 17:52

cheers for your support all :)

Ok Mick wont use salt as heard they were quite delicate, brought some just in case today anyway but will not be used. As if by fluke Oxy I brought some Protozin today as the LFS recommended it so that was lucky :)

It does not seem to mention raising the temperature on the instructions, my tank is currently at 81f as I raised it a bit last night and this morning, so should I keep raising it up to the 82 recommended or just leave it at that?

Also on the instructions it mentions to calculate your gross tank size in Litres which using their calculation means 63lL. But I actually measure my tank when filling it and I know it hold 50L because I have a large rock in it. I would think dosing it on this 50L figure makes more sense as I do not want to over dose.

I am also going to carry out my 20% ish water change before I treat the water as I usually carry out the water changes on Sunday and treatment last 6 days so bets to do it now.

If you think I am doing wrong above I would appreciate letting me know especially about the temp as I guess once the treatment is in I should not be putting my hands in there as Oxy says.

Thanks again all :)
occupants of my 60 x 30 Community Tank: 2 Dwarf Gourami (1 female & 1 male) - 6 Rummy Tetra - 3 Red Wagtail Platy - 5 Khulie Loach
MightyDOB

Postby oxymoron » 2007-03-07 21:54

Yay! good buy then :)
If you have looked at the stuff yet it is a deep blue colour and if you get it on your hands in its concentrated form then you will die your hands blue. washing them lots helps a lil bit.

When its in the tank its fine, you wont even know its there if you get it on your skin.

treatment volume - i would go on the 50l measurement. basically they are giving a guideline to how to measure your tank. Generally with this type of chemical its give or take a ml or so as the caps they provide are never perfect measuring things really. If you have the patience use the dropper as this is much more consistent in size of drops etc.

temp - 81f is about 26c? I would get it up to 27c for the time being.

Hope that helps.

http://www.cycletheuk.co.uk - Help raise £3000 for charity - I will be cycling the UK for all your help :)
oxymoron
Addicted member

Postby MightyDOB » 2007-03-07 22:33

yep that helps load ta m8ty. I have already dosed to round about 50L although as you said its bloody hard as very inaccurate with the cap, so will pick up a dropper tomorrow to make sure I am getting it right. I have not touched the temp but I have already done a water change and messed with the tank a bit tonight so may leave it till the morning to raise it a bit more so I don;t stress the fish too much.

just hope it clears up soon as wanted to buy some more fish, but obviously will not consider that for a while now as will let it clear up and stay free for a while.

Thanks for the advice :tup:
MightyDOB

Postby smiley » 2007-03-08 20:03

how are they doing now DOB ?

hope there getting better
can plecs see what they are eating ?
smiley
Addicted member

Postby MightyDOB » 2007-03-08 23:07

well nothing to report really, three of the fish still have the spots one quite bad. They are all still active but the one with a lot does not seem to be swimming quite as well, and keeps going off to chill out.

did the second dose of the meds tonight so hoping that things will improve soon :(
MightyDOB

Postby oxymoron » 2007-03-09 00:54

they key thing is the temp really... fish seem to rarely get it when the temp is 27 or over..

ur lil guy that has it bad...? can you clearly see the white spots from say 30 cm away? If yes then i would agree, he has it bad. saying that, i had a neon survive with rather bad ich and he was great once cured.
Don't worry yourself too much about it

oxymoron
Addicted member

Postby Indigo Blue Fish » 2007-03-09 21:19

You've given your tet's a good start in life - I would dare say they should bounce back from it.
Might be worth monitoring the temperature of the water you put into the tank during waterchanges though - I realised that and improperly washed plants was what triggered off an attack a few months back.

Well done for remembering to calculate for the rocks and such, most people forget to deduct ornaments and such.

And Ox - think Protozin is bad?
Try getting raw meth blue on your hands - takes about a week to wash off! :D
Indigo Blue Fish
Addicted member

Postby MightyDOB » 2007-03-10 08:00

was busy yesterday so no update but they made a massive improvement yesterday, most of the spots dropped off and the heavily infested one was much better and back to normal :) Have not checked them today as the lights are still off till the afternoon, Have the final meds to add in a few days so hopefully they will continue to improve :)

Only check the replacement water by tough to be honest as no other thermometer (maybe I should pick one up), but they seem quite happy when I do a water change.
MightyDOB

Postby sharkdude » 2007-03-10 11:45

it will be usefull if ou get more sensitive fish DOB as cool water changes dont agree with all fish.

as for blue, try sheep spray, i had it on for some 2 weeks, i've had blue, red and, purple hands before
STUFF

Smooth
Happy
Ardent
Resourceful
Kool
Diligent
Utilitarian
Dependable
Exemplary
ImageImageImageImage
sharkdude
Addicted member

Postby MightyDOB » 2007-03-11 14:52

fish much better :) all white spot gone now but will keep an eye out and give the final treatment tomorrow to make sure it does not come back :)

Will pick up a thermometer ASAP for water changes as makes sense :)
MightyDOB

Postby KittyKat » 2007-03-11 17:55

Glad to hear that you've sorted it out OK!

Thermometers are rather useful... i use alcohol based ones as they are more accurate then the strips/sticker ones and can easily be moved around.
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (aka, guide for beginners) | Flickr
KittyKat
Site admin

Next

Return to 999/911