ALL of my snails have died?

Post here if you have an emergency! For general health questions post in the appropriate "Health, care and maintenance" forum.

Postby smiley » 2007-03-27 22:33

my 3 foot tank had 6 big apple snails in, they all layed eggs a good month ago, and most of the eggs hatched fine, i removed the 'less sucsessfull' eggs twoo weeks after the rest had hatched(thinking the might be a bit late coming)

anyway all the babies were growing and eating a peice of cucumber per week(along with zuchini and carrots) so they were well fed. usually there would be at least a few baby brigs on some of the walls of the tank, but yesterday i noticed that i hadnt seen any for a few days, so i found the 6 biggest ones and 3 of which were DEAD and the other 3 were in there shells but living.
i then progressed to find a few baby snails on the gravel, not too sure if they are alive or not but in put them and the three bigger snails in a small holding for the time being.
also the tank itself it clouding up(typical isnt it? i get my other tank cleared up from cloudy water and this one clouds up). ive done a 25% W/C twice yesterday, all the fish seem as happy as larry, so it hasnt efected them.
is it the dead snails that are causing the water cloudyness?
i had to leave them in the holding tank for 2 days cos im now in france, but i fly back tomorow night so ill see how they are when i get back.
can plecs see what they are eating ?
smiley
Addicted member

Postby Mick e. t. » 2007-03-28 05:05

Sorry to hear about your snails. Yep your correct on the cause of the cloudy water. As for why they died I'm going to leave that to one who will I am sure will be able to advise you accordingly. KK or IBF their snail girl's :lol: :D Glad your fish are alright. There is one thing I will advise and that is to check your water prams cos big dead snails can affect them, especially on the nitrite side. :tup:
Mick e. t.

Life aint black and white, it's full of colour
Mick e. t.
Addicted member

Postby KittyKat » 2007-03-28 13:23

Any chance that you overfed them? What are the params? Have you used any medication recently?

I have had something similar happen to my apple snails in the early days of my snail-keeping: I later concluded that the cause was low pH. One of the snails reacted badly to a drop in pH and dies, releasing ammonia and nitrites. This made the other snails curl up in their shells.

What I did was fish them out of the tank and put them into a different tank with 50/50 new/old water. A few hours later they were out and about again quite happy.
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (aka, guide for beginners) | Flickr
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby smiley » 2007-03-29 17:54

i dont think i would of over fed them, i didnt think you COULD overfeed snail?

i havent put any medication in that tank,that includes de-chlorinator( i leave the water 48 hours before putting it into the tank)

as for the water parameters, ill have to go get a new test kit either tomorow or monday (another weekend busy) saying that im not too worried just yet, cos all fish are looking happy.
should i do a few more water changes? i did another 25% W/C today and the water is clearing slowly. i did notice, when i was doing the W/C today, there was a few of the babies floating about on the surface, so ive put them into the hospital tank for now.
the three 'biggest' brigs are up and moving agian, so atleast i saved them ...

ive notced also, that the MTS's are still living, but ive moved them into another hospital tank for the time being...
smiley
Addicted member

Postby Indigo Blue Fish » 2007-03-29 19:38

It is possible to overfeed snails - the Romans did that with land snails in milk to fatten them up - they grew until they wouldn't fit in their own shells. Same thing.

MTS's are rock solid tbh.

I had a thunk - what fish are they in with again? Denzel the lab accidently killed one of mine not long back, doing his fastidious cleaning. It landed on him, and he freaked and grabbed it's head by accident.
Indigo Blue Fish
Addicted member

Postby smiley » 2007-03-29 19:59

fish that are in with them are :

2 firemouths
3 angelfish
2 kribs
3 albino zebras.
smiley
Addicted member

Postby KittyKat » 2007-03-29 21:25

I don't think that the fish did it, but the firemouths and the zebras can easily kill the snails. Also, the angels prefer soft water, while the zebras like harder water *poke, poke in the right direction*
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (aka, guide for beginners) | Flickr
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby smiley » 2007-03-29 22:57

that is a temporary setup while i get the new tank setup right

**pokes kat back**
smiley
Addicted member

Postby Innes » 2007-03-31 08:20

the snails could have died from a number of reasons, my guess would be something relating to the water, perhaps a high level of copper or something even.

take a sample of water to the LFS and get them to test it for you in Ammonia, PH, Nitrate, Nitrite, KH & GH and also copper, to buy all of these test kits would cost you ?40 or so, and not really worth it for this.

the cloudyness is caused by the extra pollution of the decaying snails in your tank, they will rot and cause ammonia which through your filtration will be turned into nitrite and in turn nitrate, the extra pollution load is more than your filter can cope with at the moment so you got a cloudy effect in the tank, more/better filtration will help here or alternatively keep the water parameters in check with water changes.
you can also remove ammonia with ammo lock.

your very unlikely to have overfed the snails, i would not even consider that as a cause of death.

I am guessing the tank is not particually big and with fairly small filtration (i assume because a couple dead snails shouldnt really be causing a major problem) it may be worth while looking into a tank whick will accomidate the angelfish, kribensis and firemouth cichlids a bit more appropriately, i can tell you already the filtration should be better for these cichlids.

unlike kittykat i see no problem with the water needs of angelfish and danios, in the wild they may be from differant areas, but in the home aquarium they are both 99.99999% of the time kept in water straight from the tap with no softening or hardening, both are commonly bred in these conditions and in fact i have personally bred them both in normal tap water conditions.
you would be mad to mess about with the water for either of these species if your tap water is anything like normal.
Innes

Postby Innes » 2007-03-31 08:21

also it might be worth doing a 90% water change, get all the old water out and make sure its dechlorinated before you put the new water in.

some safe start or cycle might help you too ;)
Innes

Postby KittyKat » 2007-03-31 11:31

Innes wrote: unlike kittykat i see no problem with the water needs of angelfish and danios, in the wild they may be from differant areas, but in the home aquarium they are both 99.99999% of the time kept in water straight from the tap with no softening or hardening, both are commonly bred in these conditions and in fact i have personally bred them both in normal tap water conditions.
you would be mad to mess about with the water for either of these species if your tap water is anything like normal.

It's zebras as in African cichlids, not danios.
Kat
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby Rob » 2007-03-31 11:58

could possibly be the zeb's as they can be vicious at certain things. my bro nige had malawis so i got to see them rag the asexual snails firsthand. were little beggars tbh.
Rob

Postby Innes » 2007-03-31 17:15

oh lol yeah they might be eating the snails and your right kittykat there is a noticible water differance for the africans, also i wouldnt mix them with angelfish due to aggression levels.
Innes

Postby Rob » 2007-03-31 18:41

I've ended up with baby labidichromis in my tank before and once they got to about 1,1/2 in they start to nip fins lol Africans can go in soft, acidic water too kinda like discus and hard alkali water - just need acclimatising to it.
Rob

Postby smiley » 2007-03-31 20:04

hey guys , thanks for all your help
firstly the tank IS ONLY A TEMAPRORY HOME, as i said earlier, and i know about the water parameters for each indvidual fish.

the water itself is starting to clear up a bit, im doing 30-40% W/C's a day at the mo.

'Innes' you said about the filtration must be quite small becouse of a couple of snails shouldnt couse this sort of problem-its not just a couple, were on about well over a hundred juvinile apple snails as well as a few dozen physa and ramsorns that are dead, plus 3 full sized brigs as well
smiley
Addicted member

Next

Return to 999/911