Feeding Problem

Post here if you have an emergency! For general health questions post in the appropriate "Health, care and maintenance" forum.

Postby bmm930 » 2005-11-28 20:49

oo I see, thanks for that info.
I am feeding them by wetting the tip of a toothpick, then placing the wet side into the powder, then feeding it to them. I do this about 4-6 times a day. Is this a good amount? There are 6 little guys.
<span style='color:green'>...............</span>^<span style='color:green'>................</span><br><span style='color:green'>............</span>((0))<span style='color:green'>............ </span><br><span style='color:green'>.........</span>((0))(0)<span style='color:green'>........</span> <br><span style='color:green'>........</span>((0)((0)))<span style='color:green'>.......</span><br><span style='color:green'>.....</span>(((0(((0))))0))<span style='color:green'>...</span><br><span style='color:green'>..............</span>||<span style='color:green'>............ </span>
bmm930

Postby bmm930 » 2005-11-28 20:50

And also, how long should I have them in there?
When can I sex them?
And when will they change colors?
<span style='color:green'>...............</span>^<span style='color:green'>................</span><br><span style='color:green'>............</span>((0))<span style='color:green'>............ </span><br><span style='color:green'>.........</span>((0))(0)<span style='color:green'>........</span> <br><span style='color:green'>........</span>((0)((0)))<span style='color:green'>.......</span><br><span style='color:green'>.....</span>(((0(((0))))0))<span style='color:green'>...</span><br><span style='color:green'>..............</span>||<span style='color:green'>............ </span>
bmm930

Postby KittyKat » 2005-11-28 20:50

good routine! just make sure the water doesn't get poluted!

they can be put back with the adults when they are 2cm long

they are usually sexable at 4 weeks & start showing colour at 6

<a href='http://s13.invisionfree.com/TropicalFish/index.php?showtopic=29' target='_blank'>click here to see my "diary" of a batch of guppy fry</a>
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (aka, guide for beginners) | Flickr
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby bmm930 » 2005-11-28 21:15

can you give me an estimate in there size by week please?
ex:
week 1 - 1 cm
week 2 - 2cm
week 3 - xxx
bmm930

Postby Indigo Blue Fish » 2005-11-28 21:30

Well done Bmm! They look lovely!
Do the marbles make a decent substrate? (I'm considering it for the Axolotl)
Just wondered whether the bacteria would build up under them enough... (That and could you grow plants in it???)
Indigo Blue Fish
Addicted member

Postby KittyKat » 2005-11-28 21:58

this is if they are fed microworms (with a bit of flakes and yolk) and kept in a large container + regular w/c, 27C, good filtration & current:
week 1: 0.6-0.9cm
week 2: 1-1.5cm
week 3: 1.5-2cm
week 4: 2-2.5 cm
week 5: 2.5-3cm
week 6: over 3cm

this is if they are fed flakes and kept in a small container + weekly w/c, 25C & slower current:
week 1: 0.6-0.7cm
week 2: 0.8-1cm
week 3: 1.1-1.3cm
week 4: 1.4-1.6 cm
week 5: 1.7-1.9cm
week 6: about 2cm

as you can see, it realy depends on diet & water quality as well as a few other factors
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (aka, guide for beginners) | Flickr
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby susankat » 2005-11-28 21:59

You would get a lot of gunk under the marbles, but not much for bacteria. It would be like all the gunk that you vac out but it would be harder to get it out from under the marbles.

I stir the gunk under the sand in my tank for ferts. but if I didn't it will raise my nitrates and such to awfully high levels of nitrates. Using marbles you wouldn't be able to keep it covered to use as a fert and would raise the toxin levels if you don't vac it out all the time.
Susan
susankat
Addicted member

Postby bmm930 » 2005-11-28 22:04

thanks a lot for that info ^_^
bmm930

Postby Indigo Blue Fish » 2005-11-29 09:57

That's what I thought. I tend not to syphon my tank, but I do stir it so my (wonderful amazing fantastic) filter sweeps it all away before I do my waterchange. (Due to syphon going missing)
I have Khulis and a Dojo that get in the gravel for food, and tunnelling, and Zelda picks up chunks of rubbish and spits it near the filter!
That and the surviving plants suck it up.
Indigo Blue Fish
Addicted member

Postby bmm930 » 2005-11-30 20:48

something very interesting happened last night!!! :o :o :o
ok so i was feeding the babies and I saw in the main tank a small little fry. So i thought that I had just forgotten him... but then I saw more! They are all small and look like newborns... How could this be??
The black female did look fat when the first batch was born..
and i thought that she was the mother, then last night after i saw the new batch
she was very thin...
AHHH! confused!
bmm930

Postby bmm930 » 2005-11-30 20:59

and also how should i do water changes in their little tank lol
bmm930

Postby KittyKat » 2005-11-30 21:12

could be that she just delayed the 2nd lot...
use a thin tube to syphon the bottom every other day, top up with water of the same temp... so that would be about 10-50% w/c
Kat
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby bmm930 » 2005-11-30 21:19

but the thing is... there are tiny slits in the tank, so it is the same water as the main tank
bmm930

Postby KittyKat » 2005-11-30 21:43

oh! you're using a breeding box! then just syphon the leftovers from the bottom
Kat
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby Indigo Blue Fish » 2005-11-30 22:47

Cool - double dose fishies!
Indigo Blue Fish
Addicted member

PreviousNext

Return to 999/911