neon tetras

Post here if you have an emergency! For general health questions post in the appropriate "Health, care and maintenance" forum.

Postby mac » 2006-01-29 14:46

What do you mean FULL treatment Kitty?

They look about the same, but still feeding etc etc
<span style='color:blue'>Come on you Rams!!!!</span>
mac

Postby KittyKat » 2006-01-29 14:49

well... it should say on the bottle something like: "continue treatment for *incert number* days" or something along those lines. what i mean is continue the treatment for however long it says.
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (aka, guide for beginners) | Flickr
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby mac » 2006-01-30 20:28

Just to let you know how things are going.

Just done NitrIte/amonia/ph test Nitrite and Ammonia ok but PH is a little low (just over 5) how do I raise the ph? Is there a quick fix or do I have to get something? Won't be able to get anything until Weds at earliest

The actual fish seem fine, growth doesn't seem to be getting bigger (or smaller) assuming I'm doing the correct treatment how quickly should it clear up?

The water treatment says to do it every 7 days, should I still put the carbon back in tomorrow (after 48hrs)
mac

Postby saracen » 2006-01-30 21:05

Don't put carbon back in until you have completely finished treating and have no more symptoms, or the carbon will just strip out the med before they can work on the fish.

Do the instructions say something like, dose every 7 days until symptoms disapear and then for x days afterwards? Or do they just say treat a number of times?
Click for Quiz!
--------
ImageImageImage
saracen

Postby Indigo Blue Fish » 2006-01-31 09:14

What's you kH like? if you are in a hardwater area, ignore this bit.
Try putting either a shell, or better still, a peice of cuttlefish in. This will be the ideal buffer - and also snails will enjoy the cuttlefish - they chew on it to help build up their shells.
Indigo Blue Fish
Addicted member

Postby mac » 2006-02-28 21:26

With the treatment (Esha) should the physical signs disappear or just stop growing? The fish all seem fine but 2 of the tetras still have the growths but seem happy enough feeding etc etc
All the tests seem fine :wacko:
mac

Postby Mick e. t. » 2006-02-28 22:40

Hi mac you mentioned this
Right I've done approx 25% water change and have put 20ml of "anti fungus and finrot" treatment in. (No.8) made by interpet.

Then you mentioned this.
With the treatment (Esha) should the physical signs disappear or just stop growing?
Please say you havn't used both. Thats the way it reads. Just one other point; before replacing your carbon do a 25/30% WC
Mick e. t.

Life aint black and white, it's full of colour
Mick e. t.
Addicted member

Postby mac » 2006-03-01 06:04

Mick I used the 1st treatment but things didn't really improve after about a week, I then asked for advice on here of what to do and was told the Esha was better stuff so bought some and have used that since. I can't remember if I did a water change between the 2 treatments but I can say I'm not using both at the same time.
Woke up today and see one of my corys has a small furry growth :(

A while Kitty said she thought my tank was over stocked could this be the cause?

57L tank

6 PLATIES
6 FAN TAILED GUPPIES
6 CORYS
6 NEON TETRAS
APPROX 10 Platy fry in main tank, and approx 7 platy fry in breeding trap within the tank. (The fry will be ging to a new tank when they are big enough)

If it is over stocked, which fish are best to be removed?
mac

Postby Mick e. t. » 2006-03-01 10:11

mac, your obviously into live bearers and yes I would also say that your tank is over stocked. Remember it is not the volume of water that is relevant to what you can stock an aquarium with; it is the surface area that is important. The general guide lines are one inch (measured from the head to the caudal peduncle) of fish to twelve square inches of surface area. In the case of a 24"Lx12"Wx15"H it would mean that you could have 24 one inch fish. In the given example the surface area would be 280"<sup>2</sup>, divided by 12"<sup>2</sup> this will give you the answer of 24. So if you work out the surface area of your tank this will tell how many inches of fish you could/should have in there.

I really cannot tell you which fish you should remove; that I think is your decision.
One tip I can offer is whilst treating, stop feeding every day, every third day would suffice until your back in control.

To find the capacity of a round tank:
Diameter x Diameter, x depth, x .0034 = Gallons Capacity
An Example:
Diameter 20" x Diameter 20" = 400, 400 x 20" deep = 8000, 8000 x .0034 = 27.2 gallons

To find the surface area apply the first part of the formula above. By not using the pi factor you will find that this will accommodate the flat sides of your tank.

Continue with the treatment and don't forget to keep us updated. Good luck,
Mick e. t.

Life aint black and white, it's full of colour
Mick e. t.
Addicted member

Postby -Rambler- » 2006-03-01 13:41

If it was me i would remove the 6 platy's and possibly 3 cory's to a seperate tank , or just get a larger tank and use the 57L for a fry or QT tank. Just my feel, more then one way to skin a cat.
The Aquarist formally Known as : PB, AKA****, If my legs Rambled as much as my mouth I could circle the earth daily.
-Rambler-

Postby KittyKat » 2006-03-01 18:15

i would move the corries and the guppies to a tank with a larger bottom area...
- corries are "schooling fish" so i'd keep them together
- guppies eat their own fry, platies don't... so if you seperate them and leave the platy fry with the parents from birth, they probably won't get eaten.
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (aka, guide for beginners) | Flickr
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby mac » 2006-03-02 19:27

UPDATE

Things pretty much the same in the tank, except for 1 of my peppered corys. Have come home from work to find it belly up barely alive :( So I've done the honourable thing and put it out it's misery :( (I never realised how hard it could be to do this to "a little fish") and I now feel very guilty.
Anyway I've redone my tests and the results are as follows
PH 6
AMMONIA 0.4 mg/l
NITRITE 0.1

As far as I'm aware these are ok except for the ph which according to the leaflet with the test kit is a little low (It says 6.5 - 8.0 is perfect) I do have some PH up, should I use it or leave it or something else?

Thanks to all that have helped so far it is greatly appreciated :tup:

Mac
mac

Postby Surface » 2006-03-02 19:32

IMO, you do need to up the ph some. Slowly as to not freak them out tho. Ive never had to up the ph so not sure how ph up works. Just read carefully. Hope all works out for you.

Having to flush a fish is never easy, I make my husband do it and we all say a farewell as it goes.
" Fashion fades but style is eternal."

ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Surface
Addicted member

Postby mac » 2006-03-14 21:21

Well :( All seemed well but I've got home from work and 1 of the tetras mouths has a large white growth (approx a 5mm ball shaped) so what should I do? It seems to be swimming and eating fine. Do I try more Esha? I is it time for it go to the great tank in the sky? At the mo I haven't got my other tank set up so quarentining isn't an option. Assuming its cotton mouth is it contagious to the other fish?

Thanks for your help folks

Mac
mac

Postby Surface » 2006-03-14 21:45

It could be one of these problems that Ive listed below. It is hard to tell without actual seeing it. I will check for pics of these out on the web to see if that will help.

Mouth Fungus (Columnaris) It is usually found just around the mouth area, rarely spreading. The first signs are a thin white line around the lips, and then grows into white short tufts that resemble fungus. Early treatment is needed if you are going to save the fish's life, something to do with the toxins released and the fact that the fish eventually will not be able to eat. I have been told the best and most effective cure is to use Anti-Biotic. Penicillin is very effective at 10.000 units/L, with a second dose after two days. Remember to remove all filtration while you are dosing to avoid killing the beneficial bacteria.

But then you said it had a ball shape to it so it could also be.

Neon Disease (Plistophora)And it can affect all other tetrasin the tank and other species. The organisms lie in the muscle tissue in the form of cysts which burst and release spores, the spores then bore deeper in to the muscle. Eventually some of the spores will reach the water, fish poo. These then go on to infect more fish, usually by ingestion.
" Fashion fades but style is eternal."

ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Surface
Addicted member

PreviousNext

Return to 999/911