My wet pals.

Got anything you want to show off?

Postby KittyKat » 2006-09-19 09:36

The set ups are interesting :tup:

It is not often that we see wet/dry filters round here namely because they are bulky and don't look very nice sitting on top of the tank, but they are very effective! Why did you chose to use one?

The java moss should spread very fast to create a carpet... maybe even only 2 weeks! What about burying the sides of the crater so that it doesn't stick out? that way, when the java moss reaches the edge, it will keep going onto the gravel so you will get a larger carpet ;) Are you planning on adding more plants/bogwood to the tank?

The aro looked sooo much bigger on the photos before! Have you considerred feeding the aro some insects?

UG (under gravel) filters are also becomming rarer here... mostly because they don't go well with plants and internals/extenals will usually deal with waste better... What plans have you got for the tank? A lake biotope? Which spcies do you want to add?
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (aka, guide for beginners) | Flickr
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby saracen » 2006-09-19 12:44

Wow! Great photos Tommy! Lovely to see your tanks!

Your arro is beautiful, he will be a realy stunner when he is even bigger.

There are some great cichlid set ups on this forum, so I'm sure you will be able to get some ideas from then.

Thanks for sharing!
Click for Quiz!
--------
ImageImageImage
saracen

Postby Indigo Blue Fish » 2006-09-19 13:00

Wow - congratulations on the setups!

Grey shrimp - can't say I'm familiar.

I personally dislike the UGF because it's hard to clean - you have to dig it all up and that's a pain.
Also, some cichlids tend to dig a lot - so if theymove too much gravel from the surface of the UGF, it causes an ammonia spike.

However, yours seems to be perfectly healthy - congratulations again!

A pleasure to see!
Indigo Blue Fish
Addicted member

Postby tommy3172 » 2006-09-19 17:43

Thanks for the compliments.

I chose the wet/dry filter for several reasons. It has the 3 key filtration componants - mechanical, biological and chemical. Next, it allows maintenance work to be carried out outside the tank. Although other systems offer the above, the deciding factor is that when fitted with rain-bars, the trickling of water back into the tank gives a pleasant "effect" to the living room.

Furthermore, I dun mind its bulkiness coz visitors tend to overlook them and focus on the goldies, haha.

Yes its a jolly good idea to bury the sides of the crater to allow the moss to spread further. Will see to it at the nxt water change. Thnx alot pal.
I would probably add more bogwood. Alternatively, I am considering to tie some java fern or "nana plant" onto the added bogwood.

I dun mind feeding my arro some insects provided the shopkeeper can varify its source - farm bred or caught. The latter might contain contaminats. Arros also feed on small frogs and feeder fishes but these may contain parasites and need to be quarantined b4 feeding. Arro enthusiasts here are also known to feed them with live centipede (illegal by law to trade them here) or even mealworms to enhance colouration.

Personally, I'd go for simplicity and easy availability in frozen bee shrimps from fish shops or the prawns/shrimps sold at supermarts. These contain beta-carrotine that enhances colouration and high in protein for growth.

Yes I agree that UG filters have several disadvantages esp when required to remove them for a thorough clean up.

I'm looking into setting up or rather modifying it into a lake biotope - Malawi cichlids looks great.

Have been browsing around this site for ideas. Will decide in due course.
tommy3172

Postby Indigo Blue Fish » 2006-09-19 19:12

Well, you know we'll give you a hand whatever you choose!

I adore the Anubias var Nana myself - it's an exquisite plant.
Indigo Blue Fish
Addicted member

Postby tommy3172 » 2006-10-07 15:18

Gotta change my planted setup - Current tank cracked, bought a new one and determine to gave it a new look. B Z Sunday 4 me.

Looks like my cichlid gotta wait for now, aigh!
tommy3172

Postby KittyKat » 2006-10-07 15:40

Well, a planted tank should be good fun setting up! :) would love to see pics of the process and the end result!
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (aka, guide for beginners) | Flickr
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby Indigo Blue Fish » 2006-10-07 20:04

Ooh H!?
Proper tankburst, or narrowly averted?
(Or delivery accident?)

Sorry to hear it - it's never good.
Get your local glass merchant to take out the old panel, and replace it - you can have it redone for as little as £11!
(I did)
Indigo Blue Fish
Addicted member

Postby tommy3172 » 2006-10-08 14:21

The mentioned tank that cracked is this one,

Prob started fr an unoticed scratch!
Woke up to find a wet living rm on Fri, sis mentioned that she heard a cracking sound. I was (as usual) sleeping like a baby.

Got a new 2ft set for S$25. Over here, tank merchants seems disinterested wit replacing frames, also prices of new sets nowadays are lower than it was say 5yrs ago.

Ooops! I din't snap any shots during the setting up but will definately post a pix when the angels are back inside. At this moment, completed the planting and running in on the desired pH/kH/cO2, etc.
tommy3172

Postby KittyKat » 2006-10-10 09:45

That is a very good price for a 2ft set up by UK standards! Here you can quite easily expect to pay 2x that!

Would be lovely to see some pics of it updated :)

Were the fish alright?

What will you be keeping in the new setup?
Kat
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby Indigo Blue Fish » 2006-10-10 13:14

I'm glad the fish are safe thogh - it's scary when a tank busts.
Indigo Blue Fish
Addicted member

Postby tommy3172 » 2006-10-11 04:35

Yes we are fortunate to hav gd prices for setups here, though there are cheaper 3mm tanks but I prefer to pay slightly higher for those that are assembled here with imported materials.

All the fishes are alrite. Kept them in a spare holding/hospital tank. Still keeping the angels in new setup.

Everything is alrite, juz released fishes last nite, here is the pix.

tommy3172

Postby KittyKat » 2006-10-11 08:36

It looks excellent ;) Have you still got CO<sub>2</sub> in it?
What plants are you using?
Will you be using a background?

How old is that biggest angel?

I'm a bit worried about one of the anges ggetting under that rack
Kat
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby Indigo Blue Fish » 2006-10-11 08:44

Is that moss in the rack?
How beautiful!
Indigo Blue Fish
Addicted member

Postby tommy3172 » 2006-10-13 14:45

Yes I still got CO2 in the setup.

Frankly I hav got alot to learn abt aquatic plants, the plants in the new setup caught my eyes during my LFS walkabout, upon being informed that these are suitable for my setup, I decided to buy them. Dun know their names.

I am motivated to hav colour contrast in new setup, with shades of red, brown and different mix of green. My prev setup is rather all green in nature.

The ones I still continue to use fr prev setup is the java fern fastened onto bogwood (foreground left/right) and the moss that is allowed to grow on the rack. I've discarded the amazon swordplants coz they tend to grow "super fast" and req constant trimming.

The bigger (4) angels are abt 2yrs. These are actually spawned fr prev setup,, its parents (a male marble angel and female yellow angel) hav been donated to a local aquarium for its intended breeding project abt a yr and a half ago. Was told that to date, they hav spawned twice.

Angels perhaps are the odd one out fr the cichlid family coz they dun burrow the substrate, spends most of the time on mid to upper levels of the water. When threatened, they scuttle between thick plant growth, thus eliminating possibility of them getting under the rack.

Personally, angels are one of the easiest (yet interesting) specimen that I hav handled.

Are there any angel lovers here?
tommy3172

PreviousNext

Return to The gallery