My Brackish Tank

Got anything you want to show off?

Postby Kazzer » 2007-04-25 19:41

Here is a pic of my 3' brackish tank, it has been running now for about 3 weeks with fish and roughly about 5 weeks ago I started it running. It currently has archer fish, dragon gobies, scats and mollies.
These fish will be moved eventually to my 5' tank, I am currently trying to sell some of my tropical fish in order to be able to move my brackish fish into the larger tank.
Kazzer

Postby Kazzer » 2007-04-25 19:42

why can't I see the pic?
Kazzer

Postby smiley » 2007-04-25 19:46

hi and welcome
try using a 3rd party image uploader(i think thats what there called )

somwere like <a href='http://photobucket.com/' target='_blank'>photobucket</a>
go there and upload your picture/photo then copy and paste the [img] link into your post and the phot should then show in your thread :tup:
can plecs see what they are eating ?
smiley
Addicted member

Postby Indigo Blue Fish » 2007-04-26 09:49

Ah, did you hit OK to upload before submitting the post? I had a quick look using my admin-powers (not as impressive as some heros, but hey...) and I can't see anything that's gone wrong besides that.

As Smiley says, it's worth using a third-party IU-L - imageshack and flickr are also recommended. I personally use Photobucket :)
Indigo Blue Fish
Addicted member

Postby Kev » 2007-04-26 13:49

I just had a look through all uploaded files and could not find any that have been added today, may be something that happened at your end. As has been said above I would use a third-party image hosting site such as photobucket... mega easy to use :tup:
Kev
Addicted member

Postby Kazzer » 2007-04-26 17:04

Ok didn't do that will try again.
Come on guys I am a natural blonde you know and female, therefore there is no hope for me.
Here we go second attempt, my brackish tank.
Kazzer

Postby Kazzer » 2007-04-26 17:04

yeah that seemed to work, I can see the pic now.
Kazzer

Postby smiley » 2007-04-26 17:11

good greef, looks like a very nice tank !! :tup:
how many archer fish do you keep ?
can plecs see what they are eating ?
smiley
Addicted member

Postby Kazzer » 2007-04-26 17:16

Thanks, I have spent quite a bit of money on it but I did get the tank for the price of a trip to Derby and it came with the filter and the ornament that the plant is sat in.
I Think there are 6 archers in there at the moment. I am aware that these fish get big which is why I am downsizing the trop tank and trying to sell some of my larger fish in order to make the space for my archers.
I will not be getting anymore archers but would like some other fish that would be suitable for brackish.
My mollies are threatening to breed and they all seem really happy. I made the usual mistakes when I set up my trop tank and lost loads of fish before I got the hang of it. I have been keeping trops for about 3 years and am still learning but I have wanted archer fish for a very long time.
Someone told me that archers should be ok in freshwater but I wasn't going to take that risk, I know these fish are brackish water fish and are sold as such, however mollies seem to prefer brackish water but are sold as freshwater fish.
My archers seem happy at the moment and are feeding well, they have already eaten 3 tubs of crickets between them. (Going to get another couple of tubs tomorrow) One of them is a bit deformed though, his bottom lip goes off to one side so he isn't going to be able to spit properly I don't think, this hasn't stopped him from eating the bugs though. He is the greediest and the fastest. It is clever too, it waits until one of the others spits and knocks a bug off and then lunges for it before the other fish gets chance to.
Kazzer

Postby Indigo Blue Fish » 2007-04-26 20:42

That's very intelligent!
At least he's coping.

That's a very pretty tank, it'll be interesting to see what you do when you get round to the upgrade...
Indigo Blue Fish
Addicted member

Postby Kazzer » 2007-04-26 23:49

There will be bogwood, plants and the artificial vine. The ideas are there it is just putting it into practice and getting the plants cheap. Will be using my external fluval 405 for the upgrade though. Will buy new filter media but wont use it all as there is established bacteria in the stuff I have at the moment as it is currently keeping the trops clean.
Kazzer

Postby Kev » 2007-04-27 07:42

Sweet looking tank there Kazzer, should be very proud of it :D
Kev
Addicted member

Postby Kazzer » 2007-04-27 17:37

Thanks, I am proud of it to say it is a new project. I kinda just shoved the plants in, didn't really decide where they were gonna go.
Kazzer

Postby carpy » 2007-05-21 10:53

ok, sorry i am a little late in replying, but you saidyou wanted a couple more species.
have you thought of

-monos
-pufferfish
-possibly the awesome "freshwater" moray eel (get to over 1 metre, but take ages doing it, and only need a 4 foot tank even when that size, as they spend most of their lives in a long tube, with just their head sticking out)

-arius seemani, or shark catfish (get big, possibly 45cm, though i have kept them, and they seemed to level out at 10", and that was after around 5 years, so should be no problem in your tank. plus they look awesome)

if i were you i would get rid of the mollys, your tank looks really themed and awesome with the scats, and archers, and it seems that the effect is lost a little by putting in such a "common" fish. dont know what you think, thats just my personal opinion.

let us know what happens in the tank,

Alex :gulp:
carpy

Next

Return to The gallery