external filters

Postby sharkdude » 2006-10-23 20:56

I am concidering a external flter to run either 3 or 4 tanks ( 3 two foot(L) x 1 foot(D)x one 12 and two 15 inch(H) and maybe a three foot x 1 x 1 foot) as for teh 4th time one of teh hydor thermofilters has broken AGAIN! their reat for saving plugs taht teh prob so an external would also solve that prob.
The problem is teh tanks needs holes and i cant drain the tanks, can they be drilled half empty(or full how ever you feel tonight)? and are they any good with fry?
STUFF

Smooth
Happy
Ardent
Resourceful
Kool
Diligent
Utilitarian
Dependable
Exemplary
ImageImageImageImage
sharkdude
Addicted member

Postby KittyKat » 2006-10-23 22:43

Will the tanks all be on the same level? (If they will be, you won't have to drill them and the set up I have in mind will be fry safe with the exception of one tank... but essencially it will be sponge filters rather then externals.)

If you drill, you will have to properly break down the tanks (EVERYTHING will have to go out) and after the drilling you will need to sandpaper the edges and wash the tanks out very well so you don't get small bits of glass left in the tanks... it would be well worth practicing on some un-needed bits of glass first. also be

I'm not a fan of connected set ups because the chances of a serious disease break out will be much greater and you would need to use much more meds (if there is a disease break out in one of the tanks, you will need to treat all ov them). You will also be limited as to what you keep by the water parameters. There would also be a worry about aeriation.

IMO in your case it migh be easier to set up sponge filters for every tank with one air pump and seperate heaters for every tank ;)
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (aka, guide for beginners) | Flickr
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby sharkdude » 2006-10-24 14:52

aye looks like it, tehy would be one on top of each other
STUFF

Smooth
Happy
Ardent
Resourceful
Kool
Diligent
Utilitarian
Dependable
Exemplary
ImageImageImageImage
sharkdude
Addicted member

Postby Indigo Blue Fish » 2006-10-24 21:43

I agree - LARGE chaintanks are hard to control and maintain.

Chaintanks in Nano form is much easier, and a rather sensible idea actually, but for 1foot +, it's hard to do properly.

And you will have serious issues with towerstyle chain tanks - I was discussing a similar theory with Smiley just recently - it would be hard to control flow rate - especially when the pump/return mechanism is switched off.

Also - access to tanks needs thinking about - if they're too close on top of each other, how would you get in to clean them?

TBH, it might be worthwhile getting a good electrician in to install a second (or multiple) socket.
I did that just recently in my partner's room, as he has some silly amounts of electronics plus tank in there...
Indigo Blue Fish
Addicted member

Re: external filters

Postby man-alive » 2008-09-16 23:23

you could buy two three way plugs, one on the intake and one on the outtake. of course it would be harder to get the air out of three hoses instead of one, and six hoses altogether is a nasty mess. just an idear.
man-alive

Return to Equipment & DIY