Dimmers with timers

Postby oxymoron » 2006-10-23 22:03

Is there such a thing as a dimmer with a timer on it. just so that its a gentle wake up and dim down for my fishies...
OTPOTM - Vote Now for April's Winner!!!

Just click my link http://bux.to/?r=oxymoron22

By 2011 I will be a stockcar racer!!
http://www.cycletheuk.co.uk - Help raise £3000 for charity - I will be cycling the UK for all your help :)
oxymoron
Addicted member

Postby KittyKat » 2006-10-23 22:49

I haven't come across one yet, but I'm sure if you know a bit of circuit/electricity physics, it shouldn't be that hard to make one ;) although I doubt tudes would take too well to one...

Most people have a few tubes (esp for larger tanks) and have seperate timers for each (group/tube) so they come on one tube/group of tubes at a time :tup:
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (aka, guide for beginners) | Flickr
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby sharkdude » 2006-10-24 14:49

I usually turn teh light in a seperate room on and open teh door tehn 5 mins later turn the lights in that room on the ten mins later turn the tank lights on. and vise versa for teh evning
STUFF

Smooth
Happy
Ardent
Resourceful
Kool
Diligent
Utilitarian
Dependable
Exemplary
ImageImageImageImage
sharkdude
Addicted member

Postby fishfingers » 2006-10-25 12:26

You don't say if it's for a single tank or a fishroom? I use a dimmer in my fishroom which is connected to a timer, I don't use it in the mornings only in the evenings so I can still go in my fishroom when it's dark outside, it dims down over a 30 min. period, pm me if you want to know more.
fishfingers

Postby Dookie » 2006-10-27 08:26

I've often wondered about dimmers too, but have never found any. Instead, I do what Kat has just mentioned. Main lights go on via a timer in the morning, then moonlights go on via a timer in the evening. Moonlights set to come on just before the main lighting goes out, so no unhappy fishies being plunged into sudden darkness ^_^ I really could do with setting the moonlighting on for a hour in the mornings now too, seeing on how winter's creeping in and giving us the dark mornings.

But yeah, moonlighting kicks a$$! I'd certainly recommend it to anyone. Wouldn't be without it :D
Dookie
Addicted member

Postby Indigo Blue Fish » 2006-10-27 18:57

*grins* Would love to have it - but it would keep me awake!
Indigo Blue Fish
Addicted member

Postby Dookie » 2006-10-28 08:35

lol IBF! They send me to sleep in no time, even if i'm not all that tired. They come on at 8pm and the timer turns them off again at 11:45pm
I even went out and bought a blue light bulb for my bedroom the other day. It looks great in the evening with the moonlit tank as well. Not so great for putting makeup on with mind ^_^
Dookie
Addicted member

Postby Indigo Blue Fish » 2006-10-28 19:07

Haha! I can imagine.
But if I plug any more sockets into my room, I risk blowing things up methinks!

I already have two sets of lights (on timer), a lamp, a tank fan, two filters and a heater on in there...
I'm asking grandad for more sockets for christmas, so I can plan in some more tanks etc.
Indigo Blue Fish
Addicted member

Postby el'TJ » 2007-01-22 23:08

fishfingers wrote: I use a dimmer in my fishroom which is connected to a timer, I don't use it in the mornings only in the evenings so I can still go in my fishroom when it's dark outside, it dims down over a 30 min. period, pm me if you want to know more.

I would be interested in what you are using as i am putting together something similar! PM on the way :)

I have yet to finalise my lighting set-up for my main tank, I built the tank into a book shelf unit and purchased dimmable ballasts at the time, i can dimm the lights manually at the moment but the plan was to utilise a timed scene controller to program the lights to come on and off softly and to blend in with some blue LED lights i also built into the hood. Only the cost of the controller i had in mind has prevented me from finishing this set-up. I saw the controller i wanted at a local electrial wholesaler, here is a link to the shop site and some new products that could also do this.

<a href='http://www.mr-resistor.co.uk/controls.aspx?t=467' target='_blank'>http://www.mr-resistor.co.uk/controls.aspx?t=467</a>

a bit pricey i know, but this is a wireless switching system. the ballasts i bought were a lot cheaper

if i can find a link to the original controller i will post it here.
el'TJ

Postby el'TJ » 2007-01-22 23:53

This is the combined timer and dimmer i hope to use

<a href='http://www.futronix-info.com/p400_dimmer.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.futronix-info.com/p400_dimmer.htm</a>

the main thing is that it can dim my fluorescent ballasts and LED's as it lists as a feature the ability to do this for 2 circuits with a 1-10V output (The LED controler i bought is also dimmable)

None of these items i have mentioned are specificaly designed for aquarium use, the ballasts are 'bare' units designed to retro-fit into an existing luminaire, you should seek the services of a qualified electrician (and registered domestic installer) if you wish to install these.
el'TJ

Return to Equipment & DIY