my new tank and desk

Postby smiley » 2006-12-05 20:49

firstly, my camara skills are VERY MINIMAL , so forgive me for all the rubish pics :)

on to the project:
i magaged to buy a 4ft tank off a guy who had surplus tank, and i got it for ?15 BARGIAN lol

here is the tank with a 'sump system' built into it

then we bought the main board and my dad said to use m.d.f, at 22mm thick, i think it thick enough.we bought 8ft x 4ft so we would have plenty of spares once the main shape was cut out

this is to shoe just how huch the board is:

this is just to show you the thickness :

then i decided this was the shape i wanted :

becouse of the size of the tank, both me and my dad thought that to get a wee bit more space, we would mount the tank 4 inch above the desk, it was orignally going to be a whole lot higher at 9 inch, but becouse of the boiler in my room, we had to lower it :(

you can see the hight diffrance.(also the second pic has already got the outer trim on)

and for the eagle eyed amongst you, the little slot in the back on the second comparason picture is for a small tube light that shines up the wall and give a nice effect. :)

and lastly 2 very very very bad pics of what is almost a finished project(cos it was dark and the flash on my camara is poop

the water isnt actually that colour, its just the way its come out on the camara.So far ive got 'fat head' my sailfin plec, 'skish' my common plec, 'skip' and 'ditto' (my two silver sharks)
also gonna put my three (yet to be named) clown loach in there
once ive got more time, il get some proper pics of the smp system and the legs, (once every things finished)

hope you like :tup:
can plecs see what they are eating ?
smiley
Addicted member

Postby railinsp » 2006-12-05 21:01

:D what there to say you have done a great job
<span style='font-family:Arial'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:green'> safe day today a future for tomorrow</span></span></span><br><br><a href='http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v91/bruce187/fish/trops/' target='_blank'>http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v91/bruce187/fish/trops/</a> <span style='color:orange'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>my fish</span></span><br><br><a href='http://www.cranberryconsultants.com/bruceherring/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1' target='_blank'>http://www.cranberryconsultants.com/bruceh...ntpage&Itemid=1</a> <br>my web page <a href='http://eapr-1/@' target='_blank'></a>
railinsp

Postby KittyKat » 2006-12-05 23:21

Wonderful job J! Looking forward to more updates!
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (aka, guide for beginners) | Flickr
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby saracen » 2006-12-06 10:34

Good job! Nice looking desk, and tank!
Click for Quiz!
--------
ImageImageImage
saracen

Postby Amy » 2006-12-06 14:20

thanks for the idea! once i'm a bit more experienced in fishkeeping, i think this will be worth trying out!
Amy

Postby sharkdude » 2006-12-06 18:11

Nice one josh! looks brill! Exxelnt shape on the desk to!
If you dont mind I'm just moving it over to the DIY forum dw there'll be a link here untill some one creates a new topic :)
STUFF

Smooth
Happy
Ardent
Resourceful
Kool
Diligent
Utilitarian
Dependable
Exemplary
ImageImageImageImage
sharkdude
Addicted member

Postby Indigo Blue Fish » 2006-12-07 10:35

Skit, Mack and Dot. :D

As I said before, absolutely inspired, looks awesome!
Indigo Blue Fish
Addicted member

Postby smiley » 2006-12-09 17:17

haha i actually quite like the names, i think ill stick with them- thanxx i.b.f.

im trying to get my stupid camara to work proply, it wont set up rightso i cant get any deasent pics :angry:

but i have just bought 4 new freinds for the tank to hold, a pair of kribs (which ive wanted for ages) and a pair of angel fish

as soon as ive fgot my camara sorted, ill get some deasent pics for ya
smiley
Addicted member

Postby oxymoron » 2006-12-20 23:28

any updates?
OTPOTM - Vote Now for April's Winner!!!

Just click my link http://bux.to/?r=oxymoron22

By 2011 I will be a stockcar racer!!
http://www.cycletheuk.co.uk - Help raise £3000 for charity - I will be cycling the UK for all your help :)
oxymoron
Addicted member

Postby smiley » 2006-12-25 21:51

well you could call it a bit of an update

just a few pics of the inhabitants in there so far

and the last shot is to show you how the flter works its magic, on the left, right in the corner, theres a hole about 2" by 4"(cant actually see it) then right in the corner theres all the filter media packed in, with finer media at the top and more corse(if thats the right word?) at the bottom.
the water gets pulled through all of the media, before going into the larger area, were theres 2 under gravel filter plates, and an uplift in(which s on the left of the pic) then slowley flows back into the main part of the tank.

as for the trim, on the outside, we havent got round to that yet, but we will in the new year.
smiley
Addicted member

Postby smiley » 2006-12-25 22:25

just a few more pics, nothing amazing, im just bored, so i thought id make the most of the the camara im borrowing . lol
clownies!!!

thats it for now
hope you like em :tup:
smiley
Addicted member

Postby Indigo Blue Fish » 2006-12-26 22:26

Ohhh! How beautiful! I have an idea for another name (would suit a plec best) - Shlep.
It's a Yiddish word, as in "She was Shlepping around for the day, taking it easy."
Indigo Blue Fish
Addicted member

Postby smiley » 2007-01-01 20:41

umm, ot too sure about that one i.b.f :unsure:

ive had a thought, but i thought i should see what you guys think of it.
ive always wanted to keep a betta, but i dont want to set up another tank just for a betta
and since betta's like no water movement, i thought of usint the sump part of the tank as a betta enclosure
this is were i mean:
obviusly i would put some plants in there for him, adn its just about the right size for a one, at 5 gallons,
plus the water would be filtered before it got to him...
and i know the glass needs a good clean ;)
smiley
Addicted member

Postby KittyKat » 2007-01-01 21:44

It is an excellent idea, but the only problem I can see with it is that the sump bit is so narrow... exactly how wide is it? Also you'd need to be careful as bettas jump.

Looking forward to more updates!
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (aka, guide for beginners) | Flickr
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby Indigo Blue Fish » 2007-01-02 11:00

*laughs* Fair enough.
It just reminded me of the sound they make too.

It's a nice idea, may work.
It'd be nice to see the sump plant-filled with a nice plant light over it - another method of filtration, rip the nitrate out too.
Indigo Blue Fish
Addicted member

Next

Return to Equipment & DIY