my new tank and desk

Postby smiley » 2007-01-02 18:46

well ill soon have some very nice new plants as ive just ordered a 70 plant collection from <a href='http://www.java-plants.com/' target='_blank'>http://www.java-plants.com/</a> .

i think (becouse i dont want a fully planted tank) ill split all the plants into 2 then i can redo my livebearer tank at the same time
ill let you know when the plants get here :tup:
can plecs see what they are eating ?
smiley
Addicted member

Postby smiley » 2007-01-14 00:57

KittyKat wrote:It is an excellent idea, but the only problem I can see with it is that the sump bit is so narrow... exactly how wide is it? Also you'd need to be careful as bettas jump.

Looking forward to more updates!

kat, i measured the sump part of the tank and it is 5 inch across, and ive typed the dimentions into <a href='http://animal-world.com/encyclo/information/calculate.htm' target='_blank'>here</a> and it worked out to be 5 gallons. so i suppose its just about big enough.

as for my plant order, java plants have said ill have them by this wednesday :D took a bit longer thn i thought, but that was becouse of their supliers sent them really poor quality plants, and java plants did ring me up and appolagies, and explain the problem to me, so i think ill let them off.
smiley
Addicted member

Postby KittyKat » 2007-01-14 01:52

Hmmm... Bettas are regularly kept in tanks that narrow, but in my opinion that is much too narrow for one... not really enough space for them to turn properly, but like I said, Bettas are very often kept in smaller spaces without notable ill effects.
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (aka, guide for beginners) | Flickr
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby sharkdude » 2007-01-14 16:24

sounds liek its going well josh!
I ordered some from them last week, did you get a confirmation email, i know i've payed (15 quid magiced from my satement)
STUFF

Smooth
Happy
Ardent
Resourceful
Kool
Diligent
Utilitarian
Dependable
Exemplary
ImageImageImageImage
sharkdude
Addicted member

Postby smiley » 2007-01-14 21:20

yeah i got a confirmation email, just that they didnt want to send any poor quality plants out to me. i must admit, i wouldnt but plants from anywere else after dealing with <a href='http://www.java-plants.com/' target='_blank'>java plants </a>
but i supose wee will see when the get here

as for the betta, i could get a short finned one, so it dosent look quite as big in there.
time to start on some ideas for betta barracks ;)
smiley
Addicted member

Postby Indigo Blue Fish » 2007-01-14 22:32

How goes with the gravel banking?
Indigo Blue Fish
Addicted member

Postby smiley » 2007-01-14 23:05

done it :P as soon as the water clears up, ill TRY and get a deasent pic of what ive done
basicly, becouse the gravel looked so flat, i was thinking of adding some gravel to the back of the tank.
but doing this i was worried about amonia building up under the gravel, so i took some surplus u.g.f plates (the type that click together) cut them to the size i wanted, and placed them in the rear corners of the tank, then covered them with gravel.
im thinkin of putting one in the middle of the tank as well, not sure if i want to yet, as with all the 'caves'(terracota pots) that ive got in there already.
smiley
Addicted member

Postby Indigo Blue Fish » 2007-01-14 23:55

*grins* Glad to hear it worked!
Indigo Blue Fish
Addicted member

Postby smiley » 2007-01-19 19:48

Update (sort of)

i recieved the plants wednesday morning, and i started to plant em up, problem is i started with the 'background' plants, that foamy,sponge stuffround the routes, then putting lead weights on
but they didnt give me enough lead :angry: so half of my plants get knocked out by the plecs
as soon as i retrieve my camara from my sister ill get some pics for ya
:tup:
smiley
Addicted member

Postby Indigo Blue Fish » 2007-01-19 20:19

As I said on messenger, you don't really want to use lead in tanks anyway.

Try using nylon tied to the bottoms and then to a stone/ornament, or the crisps lid trick.

We all know which crisps come with lids. Cut a big X into the top, pull the plants through it until just the bases/stalks are sticking through, then bury the lid into the substrate.

This even stops my Dojos; for those unfamiliar with Dojo loaches, these are tunnelling fish - they will dig up ANYTHING interesting.
Indigo Blue Fish
Addicted member

Postby KittyKat » 2007-01-23 16:49

How is the planting going?
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (aka, guide for beginners) | Flickr
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby smiley » 2007-01-26 23:33

KittyKat wrote: How is the planting going?

. . .slowley!!
i keep replanting everything, trying to make it how i want, but then it dosent look to good.
it dosent help with the before mentioned plecs knocking the plants out(even though they are now anchored down :( )
and now i have a mistary cabomba leaf eater.

ill atempt to get some pictures tomorow.

im also looking into a DIY Co2 system for both tanks :)
smiley
Addicted member

Postby smiley » 2007-01-29 22:11

okey, well reluctently ill post a few pics, but some of them are in another post, so you might of alrady seen them.
creeping jenny seems to be doing well, as its already started to route itself.

anyone know what this is?

thats about your lot for now, ill see if i can play with lghting and see if i can get some better pics for you.
smiley
Addicted member

Postby el'TJ » 2007-01-30 23:13

java moss?
el'TJ

Postby Kev » 2007-01-31 08:16

Ummm... looks a little like hair algae to me.

Not looking too bad though, good work so far :tup:
Kev
Addicted member

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment & DIY