What corals do you have?

Postby Indigo Blue Fish » 2007-11-07 19:57

I'm interested in writing some profiles on corals, as we don't seem to have many.
So, what sort of corals do you own?
Extra brownie points for scientific names, any useful details - and megapoints for photos! :D
Indigo Blue Fish
Addicted member

Postby KittyKat » 2007-11-07 22:42

At the moment just the standard Zoanthids which are also known as polyps. If I am correct, these are the most common of all corals that can be found in home aquaria and are also one of the easiest, if not the easiest, to keep as they are very hardy.

Another popular soft coral group are the mushrooms, which consist mainly of Actinodiscus species and Rhodactis species (the later also known as the "harry mushrooms"). I've not got any of these at the moment, but am looking to get some soon!

If only the prices were a bit more... humane!
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (aka, guide for beginners) | Flickr
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby KittyKat » 2007-11-10 17:11

I've been digging about a bit and here are some shots to give you a rough idea ;)

Montipora sp.
by Raimond Spekking/Wikipedia, licensed under cc-by-sa-3.0

Zoanthid sp.
By Jason L. Buberel

By Ross Church
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (aka, guide for beginners) | Flickr
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby Indigo Blue Fish » 2007-11-13 19:19

Got the first one under way, half-done now. Will finish tomorrow, as am not feeling right good.
Keep up the good work, especially the images and references!
Also, photos of your own corals would be great to add into profiles - fully referenced to you of course!

So, let's see some more, folks!
Indigo Blue Fish
Addicted member

Return to Corals