2.5 US gal tank

…and everything smaller!

Postby Indigo Blue Fish » 2006-05-15 20:13

Sounds like you're taking it just fine Surf - don't worry :)
Looking good!
Indigo Blue Fish
Addicted member

Postby Surface » 2006-05-22 03:00

Ok, here we go forgot what question I might be on now but..... What is the average time you can keep mixed salt water?
" Fashion fades but style is eternal."

ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Surface
Addicted member

Postby Perfectblue » 2006-05-22 03:36

Surface wrote:Ok, here we go forgot what question I might be on now but..... What is the average time you can keep mixed salt water?

I have heard people that have kept mixed saltwater for a month before using it and had no problems. In the past I have had mixed saltwater in a 5g bucket for a week before I used it and it was perfectly fine. Just make sure you keep a powerhead in the bucket to keep the water stirred, and measure the salinity often to make sure it is at the right level before you add the water to your tank.

How is your tank doing? :)
ImageImage
Perfectblue

Postby Surface » 2006-05-22 11:05

The water is still testing fine and everything looks good in the tank, there seems to be some new stuff like green moss looking stuff growing on top of one of the live rocks, it was there when I got it but it looks really nice now. Will try and get a pic today.

Was asking about the water because when we did our water yesterday, I tested the water before putting it in and was ok, but it tasted a bit saltier than usual. Dont ask!

Also noticed that I didnt have the Instant ocean sealed very well and the humidity had turned it into a big chunk. Is this going to effect the salt or should it still be ok?

ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Surface
Addicted member

Postby Surface » 2006-05-22 12:51

Ok, got a couple of pics of the stuff thats growing on the live rock in the tank. Im hoping that its a good sign?

ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Surface
Addicted member

Postby Kev » 2006-05-22 14:31

That just looks like some Macro algae to me, it will help soak up nutrients in the water to prevent other algae from forming
Kev
Addicted member

Postby Surface » 2006-05-22 15:42

So its a good thing right? I think it looks kind of cool and put my hand in and ran my finger across it and it feels cool too. Have to admit the Star Polyps dont realy like it when you pet them, but they feel kind of funky like little suckers or something when you pet them. Yes I know keep your D**n hands out of the tank and quit trying to pet the coral. ^_^ Just couldnt help it had to see what it felt like and washed my hands well before and after. :flirt:

ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Surface
Addicted member

Postby Kev » 2006-05-22 16:09

Yup, wise idea with the washing the hands thing. Corals secrete a toxin when stressed, and is quite toxic... especially some Zoanthids which secrete one of the most natural toxins known :blink:

The algae might also be a pest algae so keep an eye on it. Try and test phosphates and nitrates to see what the readings are.
Kev
Addicted member

Postby Surface » 2006-05-22 16:15

:tup: ok will do Kev, thank you. :D

ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Surface
Addicted member

Postby BigRays » 2006-05-27 12:31

Rose that little tank is coming along nicely, cant wait to see it up close Mon when I come to the BBQ. :hug:
<span style='color:purple'>Casey</span>
BigRays

Postby Surface » 2006-06-07 12:32

Stopped into the LFS yesterday to pick up some food and came out with a new piece of live rock, it is very cool looks like a tree limb, and got two blue leg hermits too. Well when I got home and was moving stuff around in the tank I noticed something fell/floated off one of the live rocks, not sure but probably from the new one. Looks like a couple of snails w/o shells? They kind of freaked me out and went to get a spoon to scoop up one to take a closer look and when i got back they had went into hiding. I put a couple of empty shells in the tank so if thats what they are they can crawl in. Will get some shots of the tank today and post them.

ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Surface
Addicted member

Postby Kev » 2006-06-07 12:46

Glad to hear everything is going well :woot:

The described hitch-hikers are most likely Stomatella snails, they do actually have a shell but it is just a flat shell across its back. These snails are pretty beneficial if you want them in your system, other people just take them out... personal choice I guess.

Oh, and we want more pics :lol2:
Kev
Addicted member

Postby KittyKat » 2006-06-09 08:34

...what's the news on the next coral? have you descided on one yet?
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (aka, guide for beginners) | Flickr
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby Surface » 2006-06-10 11:23

Cant make up our mind on what coral to add yet. We change our mind everytime we go in and look at them. Soooooo many to choose from.....
Will try and get some shots of the tank today, the little blue leg hermits are sure cute and those little hitch hikers are good little hiders havent seen them since we moved the rock around in the tank. :huh:

ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Surface
Addicted member

Postby Surface » 2006-06-12 19:25

Ok, heres a little update on our tank.
Full tank shot, new live rock, think its called branch rock?

Here are the two blueleg hermits, both have different kind of shells, sorry kind of hard to see them.

hermits again

not sure what this white stuff is but it has little feelers that come out when I fed the tank, was realy cool to watch.

Saw the freebe snails but didnt get a chance to snap a pic but will as soon as they come back out.

ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Surface
Addicted member

PreviousNext

Return to Nano and pico reefs