Kat's 10L pico!

…and everything smaller!

Re: Kat's 10L pico!

Postby KittyKat » 2008-11-22 17:21

No success with crab: not seen it since actually! But as previously promised, some photos of the frogfish..

Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (aka, guide for beginners) | Flickr
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby Perfectblue » 2008-11-25 23:43

Amazing pictures. How big is the frogfish?
ImageImage
Perfectblue

Postby KittyKat » 2008-11-26 15:33

He's absolutely beautiful, the photos don't do him justice! At the moment he's 2 inches long including tail, if that.. I decided to go for a relatively small one - as I heard that they do not live for very long - in the hope that it was a young one :) This species only gets to 6 inches max in the wild and closer to 4 max in captivity.
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (aka, guide for beginners) | Flickr
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby KittyKat » 2008-12-14 16:05

Firstly here's the hitch-hiker crab who caught a lift into the tank on some LR.. can anyone ID him? (click the photo for larger image) His claws are the same colour as the rest of him and the tips are rounded (look like they have small balls stuck to the ends):

I was feeding the frogfish a whole fish earlier but had to cut off the head as it was a wee bit too big for him (is was longer then him!) so the crab managed to get hold of that and here is the result:

Kat
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby Perfectblue » 2008-12-16 14:50

ImageImage
Perfectblue

Postby KittyKat » 2009-01-04 22:29

Zapping Aiptasia:

That one came in on one of the polyp rocks and has unfortunately destroyed most of the zoas on the rock, so it's time for it to go by means of Kalkwasser!

One of the other polyp rocks with feather worm growing out of it:

Kat
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby KittyKat » 2009-02-12 14:18

And here they finally are. As most of you know, I have recently moved from UK to Germany and was planning on bringing my fish over with the furniture. As some of you know, my flight on the 2nd Feb back to UK was cancelled due to two inches of snow. So down I sat to write detailed instructions for parents and in-laws on how to pack and move fish from country A to country B which was scheduled to take place on the 4th of Feb (note: coldest week of the year). Instructions are as follows: individually bag all corals, crab and fish. For Pulsing Xenia, pull it off the rocks and all into one bag. What happened was everything was individually bagged, including the Pulsing Xenia (which was on large chunks of LR due to it's tendency to walk around), the large rocks pierced the bags and the water drained, leaving the corals stuck between wet rock and wet bag but not actually in water. After four days in transit, as you can probably imagine, the Xenia keeled over. At the moment I am still waiting to see if any of it recovers. Pretty much the same thing happened to the mushrooms. All the rest on the other hand are doing not too bad. The Polyps are fine, although not many have been out yet. The Duncan is doing fine. The Aiptasia don't even look like they've been moved. Crab went straight to eating. Fishy is still looking his usual pissed off self:

Not to think about lighting... the tank got upgraded to a larger and taller one in the move!
Kat
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby Perfectblue » 2009-02-25 03:40

That sucks about the move, hope everything turns out fine though.

Keep us updated.
ImageImage
Perfectblue

Postby Perfectblue » 2009-03-19 01:36

Any new updates on the tank?
ImageImage
Perfectblue

Re: Kat's 60L nano!

Postby KittyKat » 2009-03-20 08:46

Some very bad news actually: I'm back at the start with dead rock and no livestock :( The move seemed to have gone well for the marine tank but about two weeks in, things started going wrong: first the rock died (starting with the coraline algae and ending with all the creatures living in it), then the Duncan and the featherworm went and finally the frogfish (At some point during the night) and in the morning the crab and the rest of the corals were gone too even thought I did my best to control the parameters with water changes and chemicals. So I'm now back at the start, with a stable but empty tank and without a good LFS to get LR from.so that I can start re-populating the tank.

I am also in need of a new light system as the ones I have are not bright enough for the tank as the new one I moved them to is quite a bit deeper.
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby Perfectblue » 2009-03-21 22:31

Sorry to hear about your tank. You said the live rock was exposed to air? When live rock is exposed to air algae and other life on the rock will die. This will create an ammonia spike, basically creating a mini cycle in the tank. That is my best guess as to what happened.

Again I'm sorry to hear about what happened, but don't give up. If you have any questions about setting the tank up again I would be more than happy to help.
ImageImage
Perfectblue

Postby sharkdude » 2009-04-03 13:30

thats bad to hear kat, hope you can get every thing back on track.

Lovley pics though!
STUFF

Smooth
Happy
Ardent
Resourceful
Kool
Diligent
Utilitarian
Dependable
Exemplary
ImageImageImageImage
sharkdude
Addicted member

Postby KittyKat » 2009-04-04 11:22

Hmm, I checked ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, hardness and salinity twice a day after the move as.. nothing was wrong up until the algae started dying and even then the water quality was fine up until fishy.. On the upside, there are a large number of feather worms now who are growing very nicely
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby Perfectblue » 2009-06-03 22:51

Kat, hows the tank doing? Still running?
ImageImage
Perfectblue

Postby KittyKat » 2009-06-08 17:50

I have *ahem* kindof given up on it for a while.. I haven't added anything new and battling green slime algae atm. I am concentrating on my freshwater tanks right now as it looks like I will be replacing both with larger ones: 6ft+ Amazonian and 4-6ft African!
KittyKat
Site admin

PreviousNext

Return to Nano and pico reefs