Indigo Blue Fish
Addicted member

Postby Kev » 2006-05-17 14:55

Not really lol but I thought I would give one anyway :lol2:
Kev
Addicted member

Postby Surface » 2006-05-17 22:42

Ya never need a reason to upgrade, but good to have one just incase. ^_^

How is the Feather Duster doing? We will hopefully be adding another coral in June and am wondering if you think that one would be a good one for us to add or do you have another suggestion?
" Fashion fades but style is eternal."

ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Surface
Addicted member

Postby Perfectblue » 2006-05-18 00:28

Surface wrote:How is the Feather Duster  doing? We will hopefully be adding another coral in June and am wondering if you think that one would be a good one for us to add or do you have another suggestion?

Feather Dusters are actually Inverts rather than coral, but you can have one if you want. Feather Dusters require stable water parameters, and feeding of phytoplankton or meaty foods that have been liquified. I would personally target feed the Duster meaning turn off or lower the pumps, and use a turkey baster to spray the food underneith the crown or close enough for the Duster to reach some. Feather Dusters really are quite beautiful and they sway in the flow which really looks nice. Since this is your first saltwater tank, and it is a small one at that I would stick with easier corals such as Zoos, Button Polyps, Mushrooms, etc.

Hey Kev what size tank are you upgrading to? and what do you have planned? :)
ImageImage
Perfectblue

Postby Kev » 2006-05-18 06:58

As Perfectblue said, Feather Dusters are more of an Invert than a Coral but in my opinion they are very easy to care to for.

The upgraded tank will still be a Nano, and will be a 7.5g cube. It will give me a lot more room with it being a cube so I will be keeping many different corals, hopefully some encrusting LPS ^_^ And maybe an Open Brain or a Fungia at the bottom :D

Was also thinking of getting a Yellow Watchman Goby to go with my pistol shrimp, you think that would be ok in a tank of this size?
Kev
Addicted member

Postby Perfectblue » 2006-05-18 23:48

Kev wrote:Was also thinking of getting a Yellow Watchman Goby to go with my pistol shrimp, you think that would be ok in a tank of this size?

A Yellow Watchman goby reaches 3-4 inches in length so in a 7.5g tank it might be alittle cramped but it may work. A good rule of thumb I heard is to have a sandbed depth that is the same length of the Goby when fully matured which makes complete sense. You should also throw in some crushed coral as it will help prevent the Shrimp/Gobies burrow from collapsing. What is the footprint of the 7.5g?

Also you might want look into the Hi-Fin Red Banded Goby as they only reach an adult length of 2 inches so it might be a better choice but it is up to you. :)
ImageImage
Perfectblue

Postby Kev » 2006-05-19 08:04

Yup, I just need ideas so just kjeep throwing them at me :lol2:

The tank is basically a 1' cube so that may be a little problem. I will look into other Shrimp Gobies and will have a think abouit it :tup:
Kev
Addicted member

Postby Perfectblue » 2006-05-20 18:36

There are many small Gobies you could do:

-Clown goby( Yellow, Black, Brown. Green, Citron, Panda, etc.)

- Neon, Masked, Red Head, Trimma, Zebra Catalina, Catalina, Eviota, or Red Striped.

Maybe you could get a mated pair of small Gobies which would be really interesting.
ImageImage
Perfectblue

Postby Kev » 2006-05-20 18:42

One of my LFS has Trimma Gobies, or at least had them last time I was up there. I will have to see if I can sex them, but it may be hard because they do look like real young ones.

I will have to research a lot more into fish, the tank will mainly be inverts so the smaller Gobies will probably be a good idea... and maybe a small group of Sexy Shrimp :P
Kev
Addicted member

Postby Perfectblue » 2006-05-20 19:03

Yeah Sexy shrimp are really cool too bad I can never find any around here. Are you planning on hooking up a refugium?
ImageImage
Perfectblue

Postby Kev » 2006-05-20 19:08

Nope, no plans for a fuge just yet... it took some persuading to let my parents have the tank downstairs as it is :lol2:
Kev
Addicted member

Postby Indigo Blue Fish » 2006-05-20 19:29

Lol - you and your Sexy Shrimp - you've been after them for ages...
Indigo Blue Fish
Addicted member

Postby Kev » 2006-05-20 19:32

Sure have, the 'suppliers' site has been down to a shop move... back up now though ^_^
<a href='http://www.reefstore.co.uk/shrimp.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.reefstore.co.uk/shrimp.htm</a> << 3rd Down :D And thats the cheapest I have found over here... there is also some very nice Ricordia Floridas on there :rolleyes: And my wallet just ran off -_-
Kev
Addicted member

Postby Kev » 2006-05-30 16:01

Hmmm.. I haven't updated the upgrade for a while now, so here goes.....

The tank has kind of been at a stand still for a week or so now while I was gathering a few things together.

At this moment in time I just need to finish building the hood/base/somewhere to put the lighting. It is pretty much finished now but so far the tank has pretty much sucked up the funding.

I painted the back of the tank black, a lot of people use blue for marine but IMO black looks a lot better in a reef tank as it makes the colours stand out a lot more :D

I also ran the 2x24w 50/50 PC lights over it to see if it was going to provide enough lighting for me. Here you can see why they are 50/50:

I am pretty happy with the amount of light but I will also be either painting the inside of the hood white or fitting a reflector to help reflect some of the light from the tubes therefore giving me more light and reducing the amount of light lost.

Since these pictures were taken I have also added some Coral Sand, I bought way too much but I am sure I could find a use for that :rolleyes:

Thats all for now :tup: :rolleyes:
Kev
Addicted member

Postby KittyKat » 2006-05-30 17:09

more pics! more pics!

what about Tryssogobius sp.? they max out at about 25mm

otherwise neon gobbies sound good as they're breedable
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (aka, guide for beginners) | Flickr
KittyKat
Site admin

PreviousNext

Return to Nano and pico reefs