I need to rant about this. It is digusting

New here? Got anything to chat or rant about? Here's the place!

Postby saracen » 2006-02-08 22:30

Yep, I'm in the puke club too.....
Click for Quiz!
--------
ImageImageImage
saracen

Postby Mick e. t. » 2006-02-08 22:53

Balk! OMG! Sorry someone pass me a towel
Mick e. t.

Life aint black and white, it's full of colour
Mick e. t.
Addicted member

Postby ghost » 2006-02-09 07:31

Putting fish in glass boxes is not natural- especially not fish like oscars and piranhas yet many still do it...

I don't think that any of you can play the "natural" card without being hypocritical.

As for being sick at unnatural sites- yep that's the way I feel about most people.
ghost

Postby Indigo Blue Fish » 2006-02-09 10:19

They look like they've been cross-bred with giant singing toads...
I think we had a couple of "pineapple" fish in my fave LFS - but I think one of the workers bought them - he's good at keeping peculiar fish.
I will say they didn't have the strange head bubbles though - they just looked spiney.
(Actually - It looked like they'd come down with dropsy - but he liked them)

Haven't seen any since in there.
Indigo Blue Fish
Addicted member

Postby Mick e. t. » 2006-02-09 13:55

ghost wrote: Putting fish in glass boxes is not natural- especially not fish like oscars and piranhas yet many still do it...

I don't think that any of you can play the "natural" card without being hypocritical.

As for being sick at unnatural sites- yep that's the way I feel about most people.

Hi ghost,
I think you should take a step back and look at the broader picture. I'm not sure if it was mentioned in this thread but reference to extinctions of flora and fauna have been discussed in this sites forums. As a conservationist I am aware of how man affects nature. I am also aware that a minority try to put things to right. Take for an example the newly discovered smallest fish in the world, all ready under threat as a result of mans follies. Do we leave it and hope that it just might survive unassisted? Looking forward to your reply and may be your solution to the ever increasing problems of extinction in the wild.
Mick e. t.

Life aint black and white, it's full of colour
Mick e. t.
Addicted member

Postby Mike@AmazonAquatics » 2006-02-09 17:51

Hi Ghost

Interested to hear what you have to say, maybe we should start another forum on the ethical issues involved in fishkeeping? Mick e.t. has already stated what I personally think is one of the biggest issues, and I think you will find most fishkeepers are conservationists at heart and certainly aren't out to be cruel to their pets... of course there are many ways to be cruel unintentionally...

The trite answer to your comment about keeping fish in glass boxes is what do you propose instead then?! Cardboard ones aren't much good... :lol2: But, I know what you mean, the way I salve my concience is that most fish settle in to living in a tank very well and will thrive and breed in it given the right conditions (and if you aren't providing those right conditions why are you keeping fish in the first place?). Many of the smaller tropical fish we keep naturally come from very small and limited environments (I've collected wild Rivulus sp. in water filled footprints in a footpath... they were living and breeding in "ponds" just as big as human feet! And many small Amazonian fish live in miniscule ponds during the dry season), I doubt such fish even appreciate they are in a "glass box" especially if there are plenty of plants and cover in the tank.

Big fish like Oscars and Piranhas need correspondingly big tanks... the problem comes when people want to keep big fish like these and don't have sufficient funds/room to keep them in the right environment. I also don't like to see a foot long fish struggling for room in a 3 foot tank when it should really have something at least 8 foot long.
<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:green'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Arial'>AMAZON AQUATICS</span></span></span></span>
Mike@AmazonAquatics

Location: AMAZON AQUATICS, 74 East St, Warminster, Wiltshire, UK, BA12 9BW

Postby Indigo Blue Fish » 2006-02-09 20:19

Well, this forum is open to ethical debate isn't it. It's something that he/she objects to, therefore is not off topic! ^_^
I agree with the last two comments - My fish if left in the wild would probably have ended up in a cheap chinese soup by now - that's what they do with them!

I'm sure they appreciate being in a tank rather than a bowl! (Note: double-entendre intended)

And as for rarer fish - we've commented on a few that have actually become extinct aside from fishtanks.
Indigo Blue Fish
Addicted member

Re: I need to rant about this. It is digusting

Postby vaiybora » 2018-06-23 06:56

Thank for providing good information on site,Thanks for your sharing.

ดูหนัง

:wub: :wub:
vaiybora

Previous

Return to The lounge