have now set up the 5' brackish tank

Postby Kazzer » 2007-05-13 21:10

Like the title suggests my 5' brackish tank is now up and running. There is a very large artificial plant in the centre and the other live plants scattered around. I now have 6 scats, 7 archer fish and goodness knows how many mollies of different species, I know I have 4 leopard mollies two of which as far as I know are expecting, one isn't far from dropping now. Oh yeah and I also have a bristle nose plec that refuses to let me catch it to move it across to the non brackish tank, it seems happy enough though but I have to admit I didn't think plecs survived in salty water. I did have 2 dragon gobies but unfortunately they died in the 3 tank, not sure why, I also have some bumble bee gobies and to be honest think I will get some more of them. The only problem I have is that the fish that I have hog the top of the tank, is there any fish that will be suitable for brackish that are more mid dwellers, or even bottom dwellers, I am going to try again with the dragon gobies but will wait until I have the funds.
Will try and get a pic shortly of the set up
Kazzer

Postby Amy » 2007-05-27 17:45

i would like to see some photos of your tank! i have never seen a brackish set up before :)
Amy

Postby Kazzer » 2007-05-28 22:05

will get some photos soon. It has a sand bed with rocks, some live plants, lots of fake plants, about 8 archer fish, 4 scats, 4 green spotted puffers and goodness knows how many mollies, I also have a black ghost knife fish which seems happier in there than it was in my freshwater tank. Pics to follow shortly.
A common myth about brackish tanks Amy is that the water is to be murky this is sooo untrue, all it means is that the water is partly salted but not as highly salted as a marine tank.
The archers eat live bugs on a whole so I get 4 boxes of crickets a week as I found out that the scats and the puffers also like a cricket or two.
Kazzer

Postby sharkdude » 2007-05-29 09:09

hey kazzer, sounds like you've got it sorted.

I found soem info on elephant noses, I suggest you buy this months PFK, there are 3 page article on the its very intresting.
STUFF

Smooth
Happy
Ardent
Resourceful
Kool
Diligent
Utilitarian
Dependable
Exemplary
ImageImageImageImage
sharkdude
Addicted member

Postby Kazzer » 2007-05-30 15:07

thanks sharkdude, will pick a pfk up tomorrow and have a look at it.

Yeah although I say it myself I think the tank looks nice now and is a lovely feature point of the living room. My hubby prefered it with the large trops but to be honest I had it a little overcrowded and there were no plants in it either live or fake as the oscars used to dig them up.

Will try and get some pics tonight.
Kazzer

Postby smiley » 2007-05-30 18:29

**eagerly waits to see pics**

ive never actually seen a large brackish setup, so im quite looking fowerd to seeing these :tup:
can plecs see what they are eating ?
smiley
Addicted member

Postby sharkdude » 2007-05-31 11:18

kazzer i think you want to enter totm! send me a pic mate !
STUFF

Smooth
Happy
Ardent
Resourceful
Kool
Diligent
Utilitarian
Dependable
Exemplary
ImageImageImageImage
sharkdude
Addicted member

Postby carpy » 2007-05-31 15:02

hi

if you want species that stay lower/at the bottom of the tank, then the best are gobies of all description. i prefer sleeper gobies.

i would laso get 4 eyes, or anableps anableps, they do stay at the top but are awesome.

another bottom dweller you may wish to look into is the "shark catfish" which could be any one of the following species:

arius berneyi
arius graeffei
hexanematichthys seemani

in my experience H.Seemani, which you will be most likey to encounter, levels out at around 10" which is fine for your tank. however, they have been known to reach 24"!

bristlenose are a very hardy species that can tolerate a wide range of water quality, temperature, and other variables. i would not worry about it, if you are unable to catch him, leave him there, and keep an eye out for him. if all is going well, then i would not worry about it.

hope this helps,

Alex :)
carpy

Postby carpy » 2007-05-31 15:25

carpy

Postby Kazzer » 2007-05-31 21:02

Thanks for the info, unfortunatly I lost the bristlenose, not sure why though. I am on the look out for a dragon goby or two but there aren't alot of shops around here sell brackish fish.
Kazzer

Postby carpy » 2007-05-31 21:16

where abouts are you, i might be able to help you out with that last comment if you are in britain!

Alex
carpy

Postby carpy » 2007-05-31 21:20

oh, and how about one more species, which stay at the bottom... puffers.

the one you are most likely to come across is the green puffer, Tetraodon nigroviridis. they grow to about 6" max, and are fantastic characters, though if you have any long finned molly,s they may soon turn into short fin mollys :P

other species are available though, if you see any for sale, and have any queries, please post, i will let you know about them!

Alex
carpy

Postby Kazzer » 2007-06-01 18:11

I have some green spotted puffers and I have some bumble bee gobies, the puffers seem to like most of the tank.

I am in West Yorkshire, Ossett to be precise just south of leeds.

Thanks for the advice, really appreciated.
Kazzer

Postby smiley » 2007-06-01 22:25

**eagerly waits to see pics** -still :P

i didnt think most puffers could go in a community tank- but then again i dont know much about brackish sp.

id love to set a small tank upfor a few smaller puffers, that will be in the future though

this is going against most AFFers point of view here, but have you looked in wakefields P@H? last time i went in they had 2 small brackish tanks set up, looked nice as well, and i have asked them if they could get 'rarer' types of fish and they siad they might be able to , might be worth looking into, for brackish fish ?

and i agre-there are no shops round here with any marine/brackish fish or accessories :(
can plecs see what they are eating ?
smiley
Addicted member

Postby Kazzer » 2007-06-01 23:22

Hi Smiley
I have to admit I haven't looked at Wakefields P@H but have had no end of problems with their fish before today so have stayed away. There is a great shop in Ossett that caters for cold water, tropical and marine but are limited to brackish which is Interfish on Dewsbury Road, his advice is pretty good too. There is also Hansons garden centre which also sells a few brackish fish but don't have any in at the moment as I have bought them all off them but they only cater for tropical fish mainly.
Have taken some pics but they aren't great but will get them posted some time soon.
If anyone has any info where I might be able to get decent quality brackish fish from I would really appreciate it.
Thanks
Kazzer

Next

Return to General brackish discussion