Heavily pregnant guppy

Post any general questions here; if you have an emergency, post in the '999/911' forum.

Postby Dookie » 2006-12-17 21:08

I don't know if this is an emergency or not, but it's something that to me looks really odd. Two of my female guppys are both really heavily pregnant, and both normally give birth within days of eachother. This month they both look alot bigger than they normally do at the latter stages of their pregnancys. I take it this is normal as with each brood (or is it litter?) they generally have more and more.
Well one of the females is looking really odd. It's as if her birth canal is sticking outwards. Fairly similar to that of a female Angel who is preparing to lay her eggs, only my guppy looks a little more swollen down there. The thing sticking out is definitely tube-like in shape, although it's hard to see this in the pics.

Is this normal? Perhaps I disturbed her about to give birth? She came up for food and that's when I noticed it.
Here are some pics... Thanks in advance. -_-

<a href='http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g225/dookie_photo/DSCN2986.jpg' target='_blank'>Image</a>

She is bottom left..
<a href='http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g225/dookie_photo/DSCN2982.jpg' target='_blank'>Image</a>
Dookie
Addicted member

Postby smiley » 2006-12-17 21:29

to me it looks like shes about to give birth. my biggest female goes like that just before she explodes with tiny endlers, but last time she gave birth, she was like your guppy is for a few days before she was pregnant, and she was fine
hopfully your guppies should be fine
:tup:
can plecs see what they are eating ?
smiley
Addicted member

Postby Dookie » 2006-12-18 16:36

Phew, thanks smiley :)
She's still the same and no babies yet, so maybe in the next few days. They both look ready to explode, lol. Poor things.
Dookie
Addicted member

Postby oxymoron » 2006-12-18 22:44

Thats the biggest i have ever seen in a guppy.. hopefully you should have lots of babies soon.
Also, they are very pretty, even the females!
OTPOTM - Vote Now for April's Winner!!!

Just click my link http://bux.to/?r=oxymoron22

By 2011 I will be a stockcar racer!!
http://www.cycletheuk.co.uk - Help raise £3000 for charity - I will be cycling the UK for all your help :)
oxymoron
Addicted member

Postby sharkdude » 2006-12-19 21:03

each brood ( i think, def not litter) gets larger with age, a female can can have up to 200 in regular aquaria, the records somat crazy like 400 :S
STUFF

Smooth
Happy
Ardent
Resourceful
Kool
Diligent
Utilitarian
Dependable
Exemplary
ImageImageImageImage
sharkdude
Addicted member

Postby Dookie » 2006-12-20 20:54

She died today :( I came home thisevening and found her on the bottom at the back of the tank. It looked like she had started to give birth, I scooped her out and I could see two little eyes coming out of her. The stress had obviously killed her, and all of her babies too. I gave her a gentle squeeze and more babies slid out, all dead. Poor little mites :( I couldn't bear to throw them in the wheelie bin so I wrapped them up and buried them in the garden.
Sad day.

The other heavily pregnant female has gone the same, with the insides of her sticking out. I hope she doesn't go the same way.
Dookie
Addicted member

Postby Dookie » 2006-12-23 09:09

The other female has died aswell now. :(

I don't know what went wrong for them both.
Where is our resident guppy expert??? :P
Dookie
Addicted member

Postby smiley » 2006-12-23 14:47

oh good god :o sorry if i gave you any false hope dookie :(

i wonder why ? my female endlers go like tht whan they are about to give birth, and they are fine,
can plecs see what they are eating ?
smiley
Addicted member

Postby Dookie » 2006-12-23 15:31

I doubt there would have been anything I could have done for them anyway Smiley.
One of those things I guess.
Dookie
Addicted member

Postby Indigo Blue Fish » 2006-12-23 19:03

Unfortunately our resident guppy expert is out of the country.
However, whilst I'm sorry to hear it, this is intriguing.
I'd like to hear Kat's comments on this when she comes back - this may be good material for a "what's gone wrong" style help page.
Indigo Blue Fish
Addicted member

Postby sharkdude » 2006-12-23 21:07

how was she swimming?
what temp was the water at, cooler that usual?
STUFF

Smooth
Happy
Ardent
Resourceful
Kool
Diligent
Utilitarian
Dependable
Exemplary
ImageImageImageImage
sharkdude
Addicted member

Postby sharkdude » 2006-12-24 13:23

yo dookster i move this here to allow teh black moore post on teh 999 forum, and as teh worst has already happened we can at least work out why here
STUFF

Smooth
Happy
Ardent
Resourceful
Kool
Diligent
Utilitarian
Dependable
Exemplary
ImageImageImageImage
sharkdude
Addicted member

Postby KittyKat » 2006-12-31 16:20

It is not normal for the vent to stick out that much. If you look closely, you will see that some of the insides are sticking out.

I have not seen this in any of my fish, so will have to ask you a few things: do you remember if there were any sudden changes in any of the parameters and what have you been feeding them for the preceding 3-5 days? What was the temperature?
How old were they and did you change anything at all in the tank up to 7 days before this happened? Noticed any unusual behaviour?
Were the fry the usual size?

Either something changed in the tank to disrupt the birth "cycle" or the digestive cycle. I need the answers to the above questions before I can guess at that happened as I have never seen this in any of my fish.
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (aka, guide for beginners) | Flickr
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby Dookie » 2007-01-01 10:56

Ok.. Nothing comes to mind in maintanance or feeding that was any different from usual. They are fed several times daily crushed flakes, microworms once or twice a day, thawed out frozen foods twice weekly. Temp is 25.
I can't be sure on the age of the two fish as they were bought at the LFS around 6 months ago. Her fry looked the normal size for newborns. I didn't notice any unusual behaviour in either fish that died. Up untill their deaths they were both swimming about and feeding as normal.

Sudden changes in parameters. Other than doing once weekly roughly 40% WC. I never thought to do any water tests because the other fish all looked healthy.
Dookie
Addicted member

Postby KittyKat » 2007-01-01 11:51

Was the WC done just before you noticed the vent sticking out like that? If yes, did you feed frozen foods just before or after the WC? And did you use cold water?
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (aka, guide for beginners) | Flickr
KittyKat
Site admin

Next

Return to Health, care and maintenance