WCMMs and Zebra Snail

Post any general questions here; if you have an emergency, post in the '999/911' forum.

WCMMs and Zebra Snail

Postby ilovefish » 2008-09-04 18:17

:unsure: I am down to 1 WCMM (originally had 6) in a 19L tank with a Zebra Snail. Over the last 8 months, the WCMMs have been dying off by going behind the filter and getting stuck in the moulding of the plastic. They have all seemed to be healthy beforehand. Does anyone have any advice about this? Also, should I add anything new to the tank ( this is my first tank) or leave things as they are?
ilovefish

Re: WCMMs and Zebra Snail

Postby KittyKat » 2008-09-04 19:17

A few questions first to help with diagnostics!
What are your water parameters? (temperature, pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)
What are you feeding them? (type of food, quantity given)
What maintenance are you doing on the tank? (water changes, etc - give ammounts)
What filtration have you got on the tank? Is it planted?

19L is a bit small for them, but that shouldn't have caused any deaths.. were there any signs of disease? (spots, ulcers, odd behaviour etc) How big were the fish? If they were quite large, it could have been just age as some Asian farms will just keep the fish till they are quite old to get the "large" specimens. As mentioned, the tank is quite small so the number of fish depends on your filtration and if it is planted, but under normal conditions I would say 5 small fish max. If the tank is all clear, it should be fine to add some more fish, but slowly! One a week till you get to the number you want should be fine.
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (aka, guide for beginners) | Flickr
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby ilovefish » 2008-09-07 15:26

:) Thanks for responding!
Temp. is 22 C, pH 6, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 80, GH 180, KH 240. There have been no signs of disease or strange behaviour. Tank is filtered by a 'Stingray' appropriate for the size of the tank. Has no real planting. The fish does seem to be quite large. I read that they range from 1 to 1.5 inches, and mine is at the upper end of that range. Brian the Snail seems very happy!! Using just a pinch of Nutrafin Goldfish Flake Food each day, occasionally put in a bit of Brine Shrimp instead which goes down well! Maintaining the tank approx. fortnightly by changing and cleaning half the water.
Hope this helps! Any other ideas and/or advice?
ilovefish

Postby KittyKat » 2008-09-07 16:10

Water quality is good, although a bit on the soft side - pH 7 is better for both WCMM and snails - and a bit warm - they are cool-water fish and at 17-19C the colours really come out but 22C is fine for them. If possible, it's worth doing up to 15% waterchange every week as that way they get fresh water more often and if there's something wrong with the tap water, then it's less likely to affect the fish. Anyways, looks like you are safe to add more fish going by what you've said.. worth sticking to slightly smaller specimens for now (max 5 total) and keeping on a lookout for a 10 gal (50 litre, 2ft) tank which can be picked up for a relatively reasonable price if you wait for it.

:pics: Would be good to see what your tank looks like! ;)
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (aka, guide for beginners) | Flickr
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby ilovefish » 2008-09-07 18:26

:D Thanks VERY much for the advice. Will do what you've suggested. Glad I can now get some more fish (one at a time!)!! I'm 10 years old and this is my first tank - loving it! Hopefully, Mum and Dad will agree to a 50 L tank!
:yes: Yes, you can have one!! Mum.
Just a quick question - how do I send you a photo?
ilovefish

Postby KittyKat » 2008-09-07 20:54

There are two ways of posting photos:
  • You can attach it using the "Upload attachment" tab (next to "Options", just below the "Submit" button) where you need to first "Browse..." for the photo you want to post and then click "Add the file"
  • Alternatively you can upload the photo to an external website (for example Flickr or Photobucket) and use the "Img" tags to display it in your post. For example..
    Code: Select all
    [img]http://url_of_your_photo[/img]

Let me know if you have any problems :)
Kat
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby ilovefish » 2008-09-08 18:18

Here is a picture of my tank. Hope you like it! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ilovefish

Postby KittyKat » 2008-09-09 19:23

Looks good! Glad to see plenty of decor and hiding places :) Makes fish feel much better then a bare tank does!
Kat
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby dekker » 2008-09-10 05:04

hi ilovefish

nice looking tank you have there. :)

dekker :)
ENJOY YOUR FISH ENJOY LIFE
dekker

Postby ilovefish » 2008-09-21 15:26

:) Hello KittyKat! Very pleased that you like the look of my tank! Just thought I'd let you know that when I last tested the water, pH was 7.5. A lot better!
ilovefish

Postby ilovefish » 2008-09-21 15:29

:) Hello dekker! Thanks for having a look at my tank! Glad you like it!
ilovefish

Postby KittyKat » 2008-09-21 15:57

Excellent, keep up the good work ;) Also don't forget to use both filters together in the new tank for the first month so that you won't have to cycle the new tank first! (If that didn't make sense, say so and will explain in greater detail)
Kat
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby ilovefish » 2008-09-21 21:20

:unsure: Please explain, KittyKat, if you don't mind!
(Mum of 'ilovefish'!)
ilovefish

Cycling the tank

Postby KittyKat » 2008-09-23 19:08

Full article on the subject can be found in the Articles section.

When a tank is set up, there are pretty much no bacteria in it to convert ammonia and nitrite (which are both toxic to fish, also known as fish poo) to nitrate (aka plant food). While the bacteria get established, there will be an ammonia and nitrite build up which will very likely harm the fish so we need a way round it.. if it is your first aquarium, the only way is to "cycle" it (see link above) but if you are upgrading, this can be avoided by running the new and old filter alongside each other for a month or more, thus letting some of the bacteria migrate to the new filter while not allowing the fish to come to harm.

Also you can just call me Kat ;)
Kat
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby ilovefish » 2008-09-24 16:36

:D Thanks very much, Kat, for the explanation. I've also read the full article. Things are a lot clearer now. It's amazing how much I've already learned since joining the forum!!
ilovefish

Next

Return to Health, care and maintenance