co2 effects on PH

Ever wondered how it works? Well, here is the place to post your questions!

Postby Dookie » 2006-09-23 15:55

Since i've rigged up the DIY co2 units on both my tanks i've noticed that:
in the 60L guppy tank the PH first thing in the morning is 6.8 and goes up to 7.0 during the day.
The angel/gouramis 180L tank is 7.0 in the morning and then goes to 7.2 during the day.

Is this normal, and is it okay? I do know why it's happening. Plants taking in co2 during the day and giving it off at night, aswell as the co2 injection. The fish are in top condition so it doesn't seem to be presenting a problem at the minute.
Thanks.
Dookie
Addicted member

Postby KittyKat » 2006-09-23 20:12

As a general rule, CO<sub>2</sub> will lower your pH.

What you are observing is the normal pH change that occurs in all tank (be they freshwater or marine, coldwater or tropical) which happens throughout the day. because this is natral and even happens in the wild, you should not worry about the small change (this is normally 0.1-0.2 of a pH).

The causes for this change are the plants, but also the way the temperature changes through out the day and the activity of the fish.

Hope this helps ;)
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (aka, guide for beginners) | Flickr
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby Dookie » 2006-09-24 07:52

Yep that helps, thanks. Thought I may have been over doing it slightly with the co2 at night.
Dookie
Addicted member

Return to Water chemistry