topping up

Ever wondered how it works? Well, here is the place to post your questions!

which is best for topping up?

ro water
No votes
tap water
50%
rain water
No votes
depends on set up
50%

Total votes : 2

topping up

Postby Amy » 2008-02-16 20:22

is it best to top up with ro water, tap water or rain water when the tank water evaporates?
Amy

Re: topping up

Postby smiley » 2008-02-16 22:46

personally, id say RO water, ive never tried rain water and we all know haw bad tap water is if you dont let it sit for a few days :rolleyes:

oh, and rain water may have 'other' chemicals in, that we dont know about,
can plecs see what they are eating ?
smiley
Addicted member

Postby KittyKat » 2008-02-17 11:29

If the tank is large and well planted, any of the three is fine. In fact I would even lean towards tap water to add more nutrients to the tank. For smaller tanks RO or rain water is good depending on weather you want the water to be soft or neutral. Marine tanks are best topped up with RO only.

Following on from what J said: if you live in a polluted area or the rain comes from a direction where it could have been polluted, then it might contain something that is toxic to fish. On the other hand, if you can be sure that your rainwater is most likely clean then it is a good idea to use it for softwater tanks.
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (aka, guide for beginners) | Flickr
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby Amy » 2008-03-27 22:32

thanks for the info guys! i think i'll use tap water for now as i do regular small water changes and my tanks quite big so it shouldn't have that much effect on it
Amy

Return to Water chemistry