How do i get a desired ph???

Ever wondered how it works? Well, here is the place to post your questions!

How do i get a desired ph???

Postby andrewmoquin » 2009-06-24 05:42

I'm really interested in trying to breed some interesting fish. i would like to try something like killies that usually spawn at a lower ph then my tap.i tried using ph down but 24 hrs later it was back up again. i later read that the ions in the water keep the ph stable. i heard of people aging water for a period of time to help rid of the ions in the water. if anyone could tell me how to do this this or if anyone has any other suggestions it would be highly appreciated. Thanks!
“Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.”
“Marriage is a three ring circus: engagement rings , wedding rings and sufferings.”
andrewmoquin

Re: How do i get a desired ph???

Postby KittyKat » 2009-06-29 09:28

What sort of magnitude are the pH changes are we looking at here?

For Killifish? Use peat. You can buy peat pellets which are made specifically for aquaria which can be placed inside filters or left on the bottom of the tank, or use peat as a substrate. If you buy peat which is not intended for use in aquaria (for example meant for gardening), you will need to make sure that it contains no additives (pesticides, fungisides, etc) as these may be deadly to fish.

Buffers are, in my honest opinion, not suitable for use in aquaria. They only work as long as you put enough in and will stop working as soon as they are used up, which is what happened in your case.. the only way you can get around this is by putting a LOT more in. A buffer is essentially a solution of a weak acid and its conjugate base, or weak base and its conjugate acid. If you want to know more about it, I would advise that you read about buffer solutions. Also they can be made up of some quite evil stuff.

My apologies for taking so long to reply! A busy week of family visiting.
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (aka, guide for beginners) | Flickr
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby man-alive » 2009-09-30 21:06

I am not saying that this could work, but under the knowledge that I am I would suggest that you try to breed them in your regular tap ph. I know some fish are picky and will not breed unless satisfied. But on the other hand if you can get them used to your ph, and to the point where they will breed in it, then you will not have to worry about ph drops or spikes. Additives are tricky items, if not used properly they can make a huge problem. If you know how to use them and are easy around them then just use your best judgement.
man-alive

Postby 0ryzias » 2010-12-07 21:04

Many aquarists (myself included) do not believe that PH is important. Because it relates so loosely to the substances dissolved in the water it tells you very little about how the water appears to the fish's osmoregulatory system. I think that we can all accept that fish are well adapted to the mineral content of their native water, so with this in mind a measure of the mineral content would tell far more about the suitability or otherwise of water for a given species. Conductivity is easily measured (cheap electronic meter) and gives a far more reliable overview In my opinion. What think you?
0ryzias

Postby anymore5678 » 2015-10-27 04:00

these may be deadly to fish.
royal1688
anymore5678

Return to Water chemistry