New tank, who will get along?

Tropical, temperate, coldwater, ponds, communities, compatibilities, photos and lots more!

Postby Kev » 2005-12-04 17:34

Killies are fine as long as you have a hood, mine havent jumped all. If you want some really nice fish then Killies would be a good fish to go for..... just watch what you mix them with though ^_^
Kev
Addicted member

Postby Wallrunner51 » 2005-12-05 02:06

mine jumped in my mom's coffee, it's really bad when you try to feed them
From,<br> Wallrunner51<br>Owner And Admin of <a href='http://Wallrunner51.proboards80.com' target='_blank'>Wall51's Petland</a><br>Want to affiliate with my site e-mail me @ <a href='http://superchris@alltel.net' target='_blank'>superchris@alltel.net</a><br><a href='http://geocities.com/wallrunner51' target='_blank'>Charlie's Page</a><br><a href='http://groups.msn.com/TheBettaObsession' target='_blank'>The Betta Obsession</a><br><a href='http://groups.msn.com/GodsAnimalLovers' target='_blank'>God's Animal Lovers</a><br><a href='http://groups.msn.com/heartforpets' target='_blank'>Heart For Pets</a>
Wallrunner51

Postby Milkshake » 2005-12-09 03:57

Well I have a VERY tite lid since I have hatchet fish in there. Are Killies fin nippers? I've seen them in books but havnt seen them in the stores, they probaly get sold faster than I can buy them, they are so pretty! The girl that had mouth funus is all better now and is back in with the others. The 40gallon is done cycling now so I added 10 more fish to it.
It now has:
-8 guppies (3 boys and 5 girls)
-3 sowrdtails (all girls, 2 are pineapples and the other is a red[I'll be getting her a firend to soon since she is left out from the other 2 and useully hangs with the guppies])
-2 Harlquins, I will be getting a bunch more of these too but I was just testing them for agresivness
-1 hatchet fish, poor guys are sooo ich prone

and I now have 7 guppy fry living in my room, it's tooooo cold in the basment for the 3gallon I'm keeping them in. There very healthy though and eating lots, they are 2 days old now and already a blue colour like there mom has.
The Discus will do very well in my tank because i have it nice and warm but i'm wating until summer to get them or the'l freeze on the drive home.[COLOR=blue][SIZE=1][FONT=Courier]
Milkshake

Postby Kev » 2005-12-09 09:34

Not sure if Killies are Fin Nippers, just make sure they have space to make territories though as they are quite territorial.
Kev
Addicted member

Postby saracen » 2005-12-09 18:03

Are you planning on putting discus in with all the other fish you just listed?

I think you would be inviting a bit of a tank crash with that, and an expensive one too.

Discus are very nervous shy fish, and are generally reccommended for species only tanks, partly because of their nature, and partly because very few other fish are adapted to the same water conditions.

You need to have the water very warm, too warm for most other fish, 79-88 F. The water needs to be very soft, dH at 0-5. PH 5-7. You need subdued lighting and dark substrait, with heavy planting are prefered by this fish.

They are schooling fish, so would be happiest in a group of 6-8 fish. I don't know what it's like round your neck of the woods, but at my lfs, 6-8 discus would probably mean I didn't buy food for the next month! Big bucks!

As I already said, you couldnt keep most fish in those water params happily, and out of the ones that you have left, loads are ruled out because they need to be slow moving a peaceful. Discus have a heavy slime/mucus coat that they need to protect them, so any fish which would worry at their bodies, or suck on the slime coat is out.

I think you would be much better off with some of the more readily avalible options that you have mentioned.

You also need to get your schooling fish into the right groups before you look at any more different species. The Harlequins are great little fish, but you won't see the best of them untill they are in a big group, 8-10 fish.

Killies are usually best left to species tanks as well, as someone has already mentioned, they tend to eat anything that will fit in their mouths, so the guppies would be lunch....
Click for Quiz!
--------
ImageImageImage
saracen

Postby Milkshake » 2005-12-14 02:24

C<span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Courier'> I didnt think guppies and killie fish would get along, I know the harlquins are lonly in there, as soon as i know the tank is totaly sorted out i'm not getting anymore, but the 2 I have are so cute, you definetly see their other side when there are fry in the tank though, yikes. some fry were happy to be in the net, had a few smart ones though. There all growing strong and big fast, first bites, small pellets rule! No more deaths or sickness is in the tank, the ich didnt have time to spred on the poor hatchet fish. some time I will be getting discus for their own tank though, not The comunity, I did notice the price when I was there. They always have lots of them though. They also have TUNS of different kinds of rainbow fish, are any of those guys a little friendly? I know it is hard though to judge a fish by the stickers though since every fish has its own personality. So far I've managed to get all stuck up, extreamly strong, territoriel fish, i'd feel really bad if a week one got in there, they would be picked on sooo bad. At least the ones I have are all equal! i have twin sordtail females and man do they go at it some times, at least they keep it between themselves though, I'll be getting the red swordtail a friend soon, she has been hanging out with the guppies right now. But next time, 7 Harlquins, and one swordtail is the list. I asked everyone for money for christmas so I can get a bunch of fish and supplies, these guys are going to be soooooo pampered.

Also for the first time I have seen what healthy guppies should act like! First in the pet store when the LFS guy opened the tank they were so exited they were jumping out of the water, it was awsome to see them so active. Now that the tank has heated and stabalized all the fish in the tank are jumping out of the water for the food, espechialy the Hatchet fish named Damslefly, wow can those guys fly, now i know flying fish! </span></span></span>

<span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Times'>Can't wate for christmas! Only 12 days left</span></span></span> (can you make a chrismas tree for an emotion?)
Milkshake

Postby saracen » 2005-12-14 10:54

<!--QuoteBegin-Milkshake+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Milkshake)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->They also have TUNS of different kinds of rainbow fish, are any of those guys a little friendly? I know it is hard though to judge a fish by the stickers though since every fish has its own personality.[/quote]

I have the Boesemani Rainbows and find them pleasent and hardy fish. I have no bullying and no one bothers them, even when my shark tries to pick a fight. They are fairly swift, active fish, and colour up beautifully when you get them home.

They do NEED to be in schools though. One or two will be shy and unhappy fish. 6-8 are a minimum for getting the best out of your Boesemanis.

All Rainbows are schooling fish, and would need similar group sizes. I am led to believe from my reading when I was looking into the Boesemanis that they are all fairly similar in temperament, you just have to decide which ones that you want to keep, and which ones you have room for. The New Guinea Reds, for example, grow to 12cm long, the Madagascars up to 15 cm, so to house the schools of these fish would take considerable room.

Threadfins (3cm) and Dwarf Neons (6cm) remain small, so would be suited to the smaller tank, whilst being just as pretty.

Good call on getting more Harlequins, they are cool little fish.
Click for Quiz!
--------
ImageImageImage
saracen

Postby KittyKat » 2005-12-14 11:28

<a href='http://members.optushome.com.au/chelmon/Pseudomugil.htm' target='_blank'>click here for info on rainbows!</a> as you can see from the link, there are about 100 diferent species: i've got the spotted blue eyes of the PSEUDOMUGIL blue eyes... the only problem is that they have descided that they are guppy fry so i can never coult them as they school with the fry... :blink:
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (aka, guide for beginners) | Flickr
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby Milkshake » 2005-12-30 04:26

<span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Times'>Well for a few years I'm going to let the fish I have grow before I get anymore. The swordtails have been growing the fastest, and there pigs to, I've seen one eat flakes 2cm squared and bigger, and the fish are only 5.5cm long themselves. The 2 females are very large and full off eggs right now, how aggresive can male swordtails get in old age? All my fish right now are aggresive, espeshialy the guppy girls, since there pregnant and grumpy. Only thing that I think might get hurt be a male is my gourami fry, he is only 2cm long right now, and is being a picky eater, but I'm sure once he adjusts to the bigger fish, he will be a little braver, right now when the "big" ones come near him, just looking at him since he's new, he starts tickling them with his antenea(don't know what there called)This really freeks them out and so far they just run away but he really should be much more careful with the swordtails since he has already been nipped in the eye for poking the big pinapple. Is this a sort of greeting for a gourami or is it its way of telling the other fish to go away?

Off topic I'm not sure if these aquatic critters count but I'm getting a fire bellied newt for christmas, so far I have the tank, a mesh lid made of metal, large gravel so it can't swollow the stuff, moss, a food dish, and a cave. Does anyone else have a newt? Is there anything else I would need? do they need a seperate water dish then the stuff they swim in? If anyone else has these cool partly aqutic pets maybe we could have a section for that?

Happy New Year!!!</span></span></span>
Milkshake

Postby susankat » 2005-12-30 05:08

I would like to make a comment on getting Discus. If you do this be prepared to keep the water pristine. Discus are a very delicate fish and need special care. that does mean lots of water changes and I don't mean just once a week you are looking at 3 to 4 times a week of large water changes.

Many a discus tanks have gone bad because people think that their maintainence is like any freshwater tank and its not.

Off topic.

Kev are you having problems with killies jumping. I haven't yet. but I keep the tank 3 inchs low and a covering of duckweed on top and lots of naja grass in there.

also, are you using a peat substrate in your killie tank?
Susan
susankat
Addicted member

Postby Kev » 2005-12-30 09:44

No problems with the Killies jumping at all, mind you they still are quite young lol, but yeah... no problems at all and the tank is full to the top ^_^
Kev
Addicted member

Postby KittyKat » 2005-12-30 10:25

the gourami is acting as he should. make sure the tank is well planted so that he can hide from others if needed!

i used to have a few newts... sounds like you got everything right! make sure that he has somewhere he can get out of the water onto.
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (aka, guide for beginners) | Flickr
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby Milkshake » 2005-12-31 06:27

A set the newt tank up with half no water and the other half is water. When I get the newt I'll adgust it to it's likeing. I'll try and find a light to go on top to but it is hard to find one that wont jive off heat, I've herd they are very easily over heated, so I don't want to cook it.

the little gourami died though, I'm having some really BAD nitrite problems, I've done about a 50% water change today and there is NO change at all exept that the decore is all clean of algea, I'm doing another 50% tomorrow, hopefully that will at least make a dent in it, it only toke 3 days and then bam! Once I get it back under control I'll be doing way more tank cleaning, it is strange though that there isnt any poop in the gravel at all, I'm starting to think its the filter now, I'm going to check it tomorrow, it a Ehem (not sure of the spelling) and I'm sure there is brown algea all over in there so I'm going to clean all that out for a start. i'm so woured, I have a fmeale guppy in there that was maybe 3 weeks out of the hospital tank and was doing grate, she was expecting some fry any day now, but when I came back (I was on a short 3 day holiday) the gourami was dead and she has a huge sore on her. My hospital tank has fry in it since there were no problems and there are tetra's in the tank she is in that can't have the medicen. This is a bad one
Milkshake

Postby KittyKat » 2005-12-31 12:06

check your tap water for nitrites before doing a w/c as the problem might be there

if the fry are 4 weeks old, you could try putting the female in their tank and treating her there. there's still a chance that she'll eat them.

or you can get a different med, one that can be used with tetras.
Kat
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby Milkshake » 2006-01-05 04:41

Well she died, I put her in a bowl with some med's she didnt make it through the night but I expected that, at least she got to die without the others bugging her the hole time. It would be real weird if the tap water has any nitites but I will check, the tank is only a month and a half old so this is the part of the cycle were the nitites boost up, and I made the mestake of cleaning out the filter so it might last longer than it would have, but I do belive they are going down.... Slowly
I wouldnt risk the fry getting fungus, but 2 of them are also growing much slower than the others and they would possibly still be eaten. But in another month they should all be good to go in with the big bullies. But there all bullies too :P I got a male platy for my female in the 20gallon and it toke her 2 days of chasing him and pecking him and torchering him to finaly let him roam around the tank. females are so bad, but I'm sure he will be to if she ever lets him get near her. He is sure a cutie though.
Milkshake

PreviousNext

Return to General freshwater