AMI (AP) The last-place Miami Marlins were sellers at the tr

New to freshwater? This is the place to post!

AMI (AP) The last-place Miami Marlins were sellers at the tr

Postby elaine95 » 2019-01-28 01:55

MIAMI (AP) The last-place Miami Marlins were sellers at the trade deadline Chris Owings Jersey , as usual, but kept a foundation for their future.All-Star catcher J.T. Realmuto and closer Kyle Barraclough, both subjects of trade talk, were among those staying in Miami. The Marlins parted with right-handed reliever Brad Ziegler and outfielder Cameron Maybin, two well-traveled veterans who increased their market value by playing well lately.Ziegler returned to his former team, the Arizona Diamondbacks, who bolstered their bullpen for the pennant race and gave up Double-A reliever Tommy Eveld. Maybin went to another contender, the Seattle Mariners, for minor league middle infielder Bryson Brigman and international slot money.There had been considerable trade speculation regarding Realmuto, but instead he could now become the centerpiece in CEO Derek Jeter’s rebuilding project, with the Marlins interested in a long-term contract.Also staying are Barraclough, outfielder Derek Dietrich and first baseman Justin Bour. All were subjects of trade speculation in recent days, but none is on the verge of free agency.The deals not made may signal a shift in direction under Jeter for a franchise long accustomed to constant roster turnover.”We’re building something,” president of baseball operations Michael Hill said. ”The controllable pieces we have in Miami Archie Bradley Jersey , we’re extremely happy to have them a part of the organization. They’re definitely a part of what we’re trying to build to be a consistently competitive organization. We knew there were some names out there that were popular, but in the end those players are still Miami Marlins, and we’re excited that they are.”Realmuto has a $2.9 million salary and two years of arbitration to go. A long-term contract with Miami is now a possibility.”At the appropriate time, I think it’s something that will be discussed,” Hill said.Ziegler and Maybin weren’t part of the Marlins’ long-term plans.The 38-year-old Ziegler is 1-5 with a 3.98 ERA this season. The sidewinder’s ERA was 7.88 on June 1, but since then he has allowed two runs in 28 innings. He’s in the final year of a $16 million, two-year contract, and the Diamondbacks will assume the remaining $2.95 million of his salary this year.The 31-year-old Maybin is batting .251 with three homers and 20 RBIs in 99 games this season, but he’s batting .329 with a .912 OPS since June 29. The Mariners are the seventh team for the 12-year veteran, who has a $3.25 million, one-year contract.”We’re very happy with deals we were able to make, maximizing the value of two expiring contracts,” Hill said.Eveld, a 24-year-old right-hander Curt Schilling Jersey , has a 1.11 ERA in 35 games in the minor leagues this season. He’s a native of the Miami area, played football at the University of South Florida and was a ninth-round draft pick by the Diamondbacks in 2016.The 23-year-old Brigman is batting .304 this year for Single-A Modesto with 15 stolen bases. He was a third-round pick by the Mariners in 2016.Eveld will be assigned to Double-A Jacksonville, and Brigman to Single-A Jupiter.The Marlins optioned right-hander Ben Meyer to Triple-A New Orleans, returned from rehab and reinstated right-hander Tayron Guerrero, recalled right-hander Jarlin Garcia from New Orleans, and selected the contract of outfielder Isaac Galloway from New Orleans.— ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) — The AL Central-leading Cleveland Indians got star reliever Andrew Miller back Monday and plan to put former AL MVP third baseman Josh Donaldson in the starting lineup Tuesday.Miller has been out since late August with a left shoulder injury, the latest setback in a rough season for the two-time All-Star. Miller has a 3.38 ERA in 24 innings, though he pitched better in August before his shoulder flared up.The Indians made the move before playing at Tampa Bay.“He’s raring to go, so that’s exciting,” Indians manager Terry Francona said. “He doesn’t have a minor league game under his belt, so he might not command (at first). He might, but if he doesn’t, we have 19 games (left in the regular season).”Donaldson Luis Gonzalez Jersey , acquired from Toronto on Aug. 31, batted .234 with five home runs and 16 RBIs this season for the Blue Jays. He hasn’t played in the majors since May 28 because of a left calf strain. He also was out from April 11-May 2 with a shoulder problem.Donaldson went 3 for 12 with two homers and six RBIs in four games with Triple-A Columbus.“I feel great,” Donaldson said. “I passed everything that I wanted to accomplish and what they wanted me to accomplish. My expectations are go out there and help this team win, whether it’s defensively, offensively, whatever it may be. I feel like I’m in a good position right now anytime my body is able to do the things that I want it to do.”Donaldson will start at third base, with Jose Ramirez moving from third to second and Jason Kipnis, the starting second baseman, shifting to center field.Donaldson was the 2015 AL MVP while with Toronto.Right-hander Trevor Bauer, out since Aug. 12 with a right fibula stress fracture, is tentatively scheduled to throw off a bullpen mound Wednesday.“It’s really good news,” Francona said. “He’s having a good week.”Bauer is 12-6 with a 2.22 ERA in 25 starts.
elaine95

Return to Getting started!