Beginner Cichlid

New to freshwater? This is the place to post!

Re: Beginner Cichlid

Postby man-alive » 2008-09-20 23:52

My dad has 48 inch fluorescent light hoods i gues you could say. A hood houses two 48 inch bulbs. Could i make my own aqauria hood from this? (just an idea)

And what about a pair of Kribs
10 congo
and 3 loaches?
man-alive

Postby KittyKat » 2008-09-21 13:53

Yep, you can make your own hood quite easily.. I actually need to do the same for my marine nano!

Sounds good, but I would go for 5 loaches in one go as they tend to be very social animals and do well in large groups. I think your stock list is a good start, with option to add more after a few months.. I would advise starting with the tetras, then adding the Kribs a week later and the loaches two weeks after that. Also don't forget to cycle first! ;)
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (aka, guide for beginners) | Flickr
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby man-alive » 2008-09-21 18:14

great to hear the fish will work and will do the five loaches. any ideas on the hood, any particular brand you prefer or am i on my own lol!
man-alive

Postby man-alive » 2008-09-21 18:27

if i have four 48 inch bulbs will the wattage in the tank increase with each bulb or will they stay the the same wattage

Example if each bulb was 20 watts would four mean 80 watts altogether or stay at 20, (yeah i'm a beginner)
man-alive

Postby man-alive » 2008-09-21 19:44

how long can the loaches get?
man-alive

Postby KittyKat » 2008-09-21 20:59

I either go for the hoods that come with the tanks or for no hood myself, so can't help you there!

Example:
1x48W bulb on a 48 gallon tank = 1w per gal
2x48W on a 48 gal = 2w/gal = 96W
3x48W on a 48 gal = 3w/gal = 144W
4x48W on a 48 gal = 4w/gal = 192W
Is that what you mean?
Also just for the record, that is waay overkill ;) I would only have that for a full on Amazonian set up with lotus and lily to cut out the light. For planted set ups I think the general consensus is 2-3w/gal or around there.

Khuli loaches (Pangio kuhlii) grow to 4 inches (rarely 5) which is why I suggested having a large group - you are most likely to buy them when they are about 1-2in.. other species can grow larger or smaller.
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (aka, guide for beginners) | Flickr
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby man-alive » 2008-09-21 21:28

i guess i'll cut down on the lights (told you i was naturally overkilling)

would the fish benefit from a night light or something?

How about a Hammers Cobalt Blue Lobster

and do you use any Co2 on your AquaStyle 980
man-alive

Postby KittyKat » 2008-09-27 19:21

I find that most fish do not benefit from a night light, although some people like them as an effect.. I find that they tend to put "nocturnal" fish (for example some plecos) off of coming out more during night.

As for Procambarus alleni (Blue Crayfish/Lobster), I would advise species only unless you don't mind some of your fish disappearing overnight every now and then.

CO2 is something I on the whole do not use as I find that it is more trouble and expense then it's worth.. occasionally I will use DIY on small tanks, but that's only for "special" displays which are set up only for a short period of time.
Kat
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby man-alive » 2008-10-27 21:22

update, moved in with the other family that is also moving cross country to pool together resources so i am one step closer to the move and in retrospect one step closer to my fish tank!
man-alive

Postby dekker » 2008-10-28 11:01

hi man-alive

hope all goe's well with the move good luck :)

cheers...........dekker :)
ENJOY YOUR FISH ENJOY LIFE
dekker

Postby man-alive » 2008-11-01 05:10

another small update

some very important decsisions have been made on the end of the world i am on and the move will be made before November 27 but with the way things are looking we might move into a furnished apartment/hotel thing because even though we have made 2 trips to Missouri before we really don't know what part we want to live in, yes all this is quite boring i know but its midnight i'm bored and i was on mi favorite website ever (AFF) lol and this was the only update i have so far.
man-alive

Re: Off Topic

Postby KittyKat » 2008-11-01 17:43

I quite enjoy reading all the little updates ;) Why are you moving again? Is it work related?
Kat
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby man-alive » 2008-11-03 04:48

I am moving for a churrch. I'm a Christian and my family just felt lead to a specific church so off we go.

Aside, even though i haven't been phisically working on my tank i have used this time to do a lot of reading and study to keep me unrusted i suppose. I saw a picture of a diy spray foam background and it looked really amazing. I figured since i was going to have a pair of kribs i could make a rock looking background with a built in cave (hopefully they will like it but oh well if they don't the little boogers can make their own, lol). Not exactly sure how to go about this. At a time i was reading heavily on palaudriums and dart frogs and figured out how to make a faom/stone background for them. A guy suggested GREAT STUFF for this, (great stuff is the real name of the product) it is an expanding foam that obviously can stick to glass because that is wat he made his palaudrium out of and it looked great. Even though it was in a high moisture enviroment it wasn't fully submerged under water so i don't know if it would work in that situation. If i properly sealed it (by the way i don't know how so please help) i suppose it would work. If i'm going in the right direction please tell me and if i am not again please help me! Thanks!
man-alive

Postby davefrombc » 2008-11-03 17:25

You can use the 2 tube / 48" "shop lights" for your aquarium. If you can find them , get the unit with T-8 tubes rather than the T-12's that are more common. The best tubes for the plants are "daylight" tubes with a colour temperature of 6700K; and of those , most people find the Philips brand the best of the bunch
davefrombc

Postby man-alive » 2008-11-03 22:27

sounds great dave thats pretty much along the lines i was thinking except for the philips part didn't know i could use thosefor aquatics.

Ok i got more info on the great stuff. it sticks to glass and is water resistent, but if thats the same as water proof i wouldn't know i am going to go on their website later but for now have to go.
man-alive

PreviousNext

Return to Getting started!