Beginner Cichlid

New to freshwater? This is the place to post!

Re: Beginner Cichlid

Postby man-alive » 2008-11-05 00:34

nother update

i bought a small ten gallon fish tank to test the background on, i didn't want to go straight for my big one. If all goes well i could have a hospital tank with a kick butt backgroung (jk) all jokes aside, will try and if i can find my moms camera will post pics.
man-alive

Postby man-alive » 2008-11-06 16:14

how do i seal and paint this background!

and do any of you guys use an online fish store, i'm asking because i don't know much about where i am moving and i am trying to prepare for no or bad lfs.

And kitty i was doing some reading on kribs and congos and the kribs like hard water i think (if i remember right) and congos like soft water. now i know its possible to keep them in hard water but is it really a good idea (i am trusting you).
I have decided to go with an extreme planted setup, what fluorescent bulbs do you recomend (i have to look again at the light hoods again to see the prong size but it should just be standard i think). WPG shouldn't be a problem because i am building my own system, so i could raise wattage if needed. Co2 is taken care of, i don't want it as a permanent supplement for the plants but will inject it into the tank several times a year. Should i go sand or gravel and what supplements should i put straight into the substrate.
and plants that would look good in a congo, krib, setup?

gotta go!

edit add on

i just read that uv steralizers can make some bacteria that are microscopic clump together and then mechanical filters are able to in effect filter them. is this true.

nother edit

i just found a co2 system that uses blocks of co2 instead of the gas. this really just cuts down on the size of the co2 system so i think would work great for me. when i know more i will post

Thanks
man-alive

Postby man-alive » 2008-11-19 22:53

i have been doing some more indepth reading on the kribs i am going to keep and they prefer harder water than the congos i was planning as companions. So long story short i switched over to either one of these three fish as schoolers.

Bowfish
Australian Blue Eye
Celebes Rainbowfish

will these work ok with my kribs. the water parameters are pretty much the same.
man-alive

Postby KittyKat » 2008-11-20 21:16

I definitely remember breeding my P gertrudae at a pH of 6 in rainwater! Home of the Rainbowfish has some very good and accurate information on these fish. There are quite a few rainbowfish which will do, starting with the Celebes (Marosatherina ladigesi).. but all species of Kribs that I know of have an optimum range of pH 6.0-8.0, which is the same as the Congo Tetra's and as far as I am aware most of the Rainbow fish do fall in the same range too.. Anyways, back to the subject of Kribs, I have found that they prefer pH of around 7 so either the Congos or the rainbows should be fine, although you may want to be careful with picking the rainbows as some of the ones with the longer fins may be just that bit too tempting for the Kribs. Also keep in mind that they can be quite territorial!
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (aka, guide for beginners) | Flickr
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby man-alive » 2009-07-11 23:06

Hey guys! Finally made the move to Missouri so maybe in the late/near future something will be started. Hopefully it's sooner but I want to do this right the first time so no crap work meens it might take me a little time until the funds come in. Will keep you posted!
man-alive

Postby man-alive » 2009-08-05 00:54

Hey guys... I have been doing some reading on another forum, and was thinking of using the rocks around my house. They are extremely eye-catching, and thousands of show piece quality rocks are just lying around. Now in one book I read, the author said it was a bad idea to use straight-from-nature/found aquarium decorations. However, this other site I have been on said that if cleaned, the rocks have small chance of leaking harmful levels of toxins into the water. My water here is hard, haven't tested it but you can actually taste it, so I don't think that rocks from around here would make it any harder. Lets face it, fish come from nature and so do rocks, so the question here being, is it harmful to use these rock. I am sure I know the answer but I know some of the people on this site have been keeping fish for as long as I have been alive, so until my years outnumber yours, your opinion realy counts.

Edit:

I am going to use well rinsed play sand for my substrate, but I want a heavily planted tank. What could I mix with my sand to fertilize my plants but not drastically change the color of the sand? Would it be okay to put a layer of a nutrient rich substrate, and then on top of that a layer of sand. Will this be too thick of a substrate, and build up too much gasses inbetween layers?
man-alive

Postby KittyKat » 2009-08-09 17:33

man-alive wrote:Hey guys... I have been doing some reading on another forum, and was thinking of using the rocks around my house. They are extremely eye-catching, and thousands of show piece quality rocks are just lying around. Now in one book I read, the author said it was a bad idea to use straight-from-nature/found aquarium decorations. However, this other site I have been on said that if cleaned, the rocks have small chance of leaking harmful levels of toxins into the water. My water here is hard, haven't tested it but you can actually taste it, so I don't think that rocks from around here would make it any harder. Lets face it, fish come from nature and so do rocks, so the question here being, is it harmful to use these rock. I am sure I know the answer but I know some of the people on this site have been keeping fish for as long as I have been alive, so until my years outnumber yours, your opinion realy counts.

What kind of area do you live in? Is there much pollution? Was there over the last few centuries much pollution that is known of? If you live in a large city or next to a factory, then of course you can't use the stones etc from around the house.. but if you live in the middle of no-where, where people rarely go, let alone there be any sort of industrial activity that might affect the are, then of course you can pick decoration from your garden. You also need to know if any pesticides or fertilisers have been used in the area as those are most often deadly to fish. And of course, there is the "acid test" (no pun intended), where you collect some stones and drip an acid onto them to see if they will react with it. Acetic acid (i.e. vinegar) is used most often: place a drop on the stone, if it fizzes within 10 min, it's best to avoid, if it doesn't, probably ok to use.

man-alive wrote:I am going to use well rinsed play sand for my substrate, but I want a heavily planted tank. What could I mix with my sand to fertilize my plants but not drastically change the color of the sand? Would it be okay to put a layer of a nutrient rich substrate, and then on top of that a layer of sand. Will this be too thick of a substrate, and build up too much gasses inbetween layers?

Hmm.. best option would be to use liquid fertilisers or tablets which you bury in the substrate near the roots of the plants. Your idea should also work, altho I wouldn't try it myself, as many professional planted tanks use that technique.

The gasses will build up within each layer too.. I have to stir my sand once a week to get rid of the toxic gasses.

Sorry for the slow reply, just back from holiday!
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (aka, guide for beginners) | Flickr
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby man-alive » 2009-08-10 21:51

Thanks for the reply. Don't know much about the history or past pollution, I will test the rocks to makes sure. The rocks come from a dry riverbed down in a valley. Small amounts of construction have taken place near it but not much. Some rocks I know for a fact will not be usable do to the fact that they disolve under water and scrubbing. The riverbed does get a little runoff water but only after days and days of hard rain fall, most days they are just baking under the sun. I don't live in the city or downtown, but I wouldn't consider it the-middle-of nowhere.

Which liquid ferts would you suggest? Will they change my water chemistry drastically? The two substrate layers I had in mind will not work because I would have to stir the sand bed up like you said and the substrate beneath the sand would change the color of the sand defeating the original purpose of a two layer set-up.

Here is a link below to a forum page with a picture of how rocks look here. I don't know how to work the URL button yet so you might have to type it in.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/view ... t=missouri

And I was going to ask another question. If I have carpeting plants, and no sand is able to be reached how do I clean the sand? Will the fish waste just become a fertalizer? And will gasses build up below the plants?
man-alive

Postby KittyKat » 2009-08-12 10:48

man-alive wrote:Thanks for the reply. Don't know much about the history or past pollution, I will test the rocks to makes sure. The rocks come from a dry riverbed down in a valley. Small amounts of construction have taken place near it but not much. Some rocks I know for a fact will not be usable do to the fact that they disolve under water and scrubbing. The riverbed does get a little runoff water but only after days and days of hard rain fall, most days they are just baking under the sun. I don't live in the city or downtown, but I wouldn't consider it the-middle-of nowhere.

Should be fine then.. no history of mining in your area? Just be sure to give them a good soaking and clean before using.

man-alive wrote:Which liquid ferts would you suggest? Will they change my water chemistry drastically? The two substrate layers I had in mind will not work because I would have to stir the sand bed up like you said and the substrate beneath the sand would change the color of the sand defeating the original purpose of a two layer set-up.

I don't use any myself, but I heard that Flourish Excel works.. otherwise ADA stuff is expensive but also apparently good.

man-alive wrote:Here is a link below to a forum page with a picture of how rocks look here. I don't know how to work the URL button yet so you might have to type it in.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/view ... t=missouri

Look ok.. just slate and granite type stuff..

Code: Select all
[url=http://www.type-in-your-url-here.com]Text which you want displayed goes here[/url]

man-alive wrote:And I was going to ask another question. If I have carpeting plants, and no sand is able to be reached how do I clean the sand? Will the fish waste just become a fertalizer? And will gasses build up below the plants?

With great difficulty. Yes to the fish waste, that's my main source of fertiliser at the back of the tank. Yes to the second too, I use a fork to agitate the sand *gently* around the plants and have applied the same principle to plant carpets too :)
Kat
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby man-alive » 2009-08-18 23:46

Hey nother question. I have some pics of some of the wood I was going to include in my setup... but I can't figure out how to post them. It is saying that they are to big but they are nothing more than other pictures I have seen on this site. I know Kitty has told me before but I don't have an http code for the pic (its one I have taken myself ofcourse) so how do I do it... Please Help!
man-alive

Postby KittyKat » 2009-08-19 08:55

You can use an online image resizer or an image processing program to decrease the size of the image. :)
Kat
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby man-alive » 2009-08-19 21:29

I have one dumpy picture here, I know its lame but you get the point. I need to know if the red on this rock is metals and if so if it will hurt my fish.
new.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
man-alive

Postby KittyKat » 2009-08-20 08:50

Ok, what happens if you scrub it with the rough side of the sponge or an old toothbrush or a metal scrubbing brush? Try the grey looking bit too please.

I can't quite remember which part of the country you are in, but in the US, there is a naturally occuring rock which is commonly called "rainbow rock". It is highly desirable as aquarium decoration because it is very colourful and safe for fish. It can look similar to what you have so I would suggest that you check to see if you do have it. It is usually collected from Montana, but is also present in many other states.
Kat
KittyKat
Site admin

Postby man-alive » 2009-08-20 16:56

I live in Missouri, I have scrubbed it but the brush was not a stiff bristle brush, but the color IS part of the rock I know that. When I scrubbed it I don't think the color bled out onto the brush but it might have, I wasn't paying too much attention to that. I will try to get a harder bristled brush and try again. Lets just hope its rainbow rock!
man-alive

Postby man-alive » 2009-08-20 17:04

I just scrubbed it hard with the rough side of a sponge. Nothing happened, the colors didn't fade or wash off onto the sponge or my fingers when I touched it like it would have it would have if it was say rust. Haven't checked online to see if we have rainbow rock but, I know now that the color in the rock won't fade or blur with scrubbing.

The reason I want this rock so much if I haven't stated earlier, is because the whole thing is naturally cave shaped, and if I keep the kribs like planned, it should really help!

EDIT: I have been looking online and so far can't find anything solid. If you know of a website I should look at, I'm lost so far.

EDIT: Ok just boiled the rock and its been scrubbed. Now it seems to faintly glitter all over if looked at right. One spot of the rock slightly larger than the size of an american half dollar glitters pretty good, this spot is also not very rough like fools gold but a little more smoother. Does this shed more light onto what it might be?
man-alive

PreviousNext

Return to Getting started!